can you tell what color a chick will grow up to be by hatching color?

Any one know what you'll get if you cross a Lemon Cuckoo Maran Rooster with a Rhode Island Red Hen? One Chick just hatched its black with a blonde stop on the crown and a dark brown breast... Still in down tho... Also what about a Brown Leghorn Hen and a Lemon Cuckoo Maran Rooster??? JTLYK he is black and white barred on bottom (like a barred rock) and dark (like a golden cuckoo maran) on top. Iv'e seen some google results showing full buff lemons so i'm still not sure what the difference is...
I dont think the "Lemon Cuckoo" pattern exist in the Maran breed(would not be hard to breed) as in Lemon cukcoo orps(use goole o see pics) but I think you may refer to whats called, Golden cuckoo maran, while golden and lemon may describe a similar color, the pattern names have totally different looks on the bird..

golden cuckoos are like plain cuckoos except they show golden/yellow color to their hackles, saddles and shoulders(straw/gold barring feathers) now this birds are based on the ER birchen allele which is dominant over the RIR wheaten e allele, so you will have the chicks to be ER/eWh and the headspot you see on the chick is because the father was barred, the chicks cant be sex, so that chick cant be sexed at hatch

So, my rooster is a dark French Golden Cuckoo Maran (FGCM)? The rooster in my profile pic is one of the ones i bred (what i will refer to as a Light Golden). The chick is the offspring of a Dark RIR hen, and a dark FGCM. I get the chick will be burchen but i dont understand where the wheaten allele is coming from... Are you saying the RIR carries the light colored allele and if so can it be bred out again to create barred bottoms with wheaten saddles? And if its a hen what kinds of egg production can i expect? More towards maran shaped or what? These RIR are not 4-H just layers. Hybrid birds are complicated XD i like my pure breds lol.

So, my rooster is a dark French Golden Cuckoo Maran (FGCM)? The rooster in my profile pic is one of the ones i bred (what i will refer to as a Light Golden). The chick is the offspring of a Dark RIR hen, and a dark FGCM. I get the chick will be burchen but i dont understand where the wheaten allele is coming from... Are you saying the RIR carries the light colored allele .
wheaten is coming from RIR, but Birchen is Dominant over wheaten so the chicks will grow to be much like their goldend cuckoo maran parents, with some gold leaking on the breast, their rate of lay will be right in the middle of the Marans and RIR..

Im new to chickens but the one thing I have learned is that you really can't know much about your chickens until it happens! Are they boys? Girls? What kind are they? What will they look like or act like? Pretty funny! Im loving it though!

How about yellow silkies? And grey silkies?

Back
Top Bottom