can you train a goose?

sydney13

Songster
Mar 11, 2010
Massachusetts
can you train a goose to learn commands like for example to come when you call their name
big_smile.png

and my goose is 3 weeks old and still nibbles my hair and fingers, will she still do this as a adult? and when she is a adult will she bite instead of nibble so should i not let her do it as a baby?
when the goslings nibble is this their way of showing affection or do they just like to eat stuff
smile.png

do adult geese enjoy being pete

Last edited:
Mine were not trained to actual word commands but rather to sound commands. It took spending far too much time with them but I was 16 and had nothing better to do at the time but it is possible. I could take mine on walk around the neighborhood. There were commands to gather at my feet in case of a predator even which came in very handy.

I have my geese trained to "Go to Bed".

When it is about time to lock them up for the night, I open a window and yell "BEDTIME!" and they start heading toward their garage.

I have even, for entertainment purposes, been known to do this in the middle of the day. They still head to their garage, but you can tell they are asking each other if I need my head examined.
lol.png

Then I go and tell them they are good geese and give them a treat for obeying.

Quote:
A few do most don't. Sort of the reverse of cats and dogs, some geese like to be stroked on the neck and head, but most don't like being held

Quote:
Give treats at your feet! but be carefull there is nothing worse than trying to walk with a half dozen geese gathered around your feet.

Its mostly repetition but the gathering at my feet was kind of accidental and then I pretty much practiced with them afterwards. Ok first my sound commands was beeping. I would walk and go " beep beep beep" just like I was one of them and they would follow. This started at just a couple weeks old in side our green house. They would follow. Anyway after a while if I wanted them to come I would " call " for them and they would come running. If I called for them while we were walking they just all lined up and followed. If one wandered off I would call again and it would get back in line. ( it was an odd sight for the neighbors that caused a lot of comment) Once the neighbor cat was out and I guess I was a bit frantically calling and it must have freaked them out because I had 5 little geese gathered at my feet. After that when we were out in the yard and they would wander away from me I would just now and then start my frantic little call again and they would all come running. Eventually they knew that call and would gather at my feet every time. To them I was head of the flock. It sounds odd. Like I said I spent WAY too much time with them.

Our babies walk on leashes. That was not too hard. My older one talks... says momma bye bye and here kitty kitty. The Older ones also with bring momma her babies when I ask. Geese are pretty smart and can be taught almost anything as long as it works well with their instincts.

Quote:
im sure im reading it wrong but do you mean that your older goose can actually say here kitty kitty and momma bye bye
ep.gif

ive trained mine to wear a harness too
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom