1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you traumatize your chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by supdude, Jul 11, 2008.

1. supdude

supdude Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    my cornish x goes nuts around food and attacks my 2 little chiks when they try to eat his food, today he tore out some feathers off my RIR butt and she screamed an took off, i pushed the roo and slapped him on the back of the head, he backed off a littl and was scared of me but pretty much forgot about it in 5 min. i wanted to know if you can accidentally or intentionally do something to chickens that will make them always cautious and scared around you? like they always remember what happened, or can they not remember that far back. my dog still remembers what guns are after he was abused with them, but i know chickens brains are tinier.

2. ButtonQuailBoy

ButtonQuailBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    Throop PA 18512
    [​IMG] Please don't hit your chickens (believe me the will retaliate)

PS but don't spil them either...mine abuse me...don't tell them I said that!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I'm sure they will remember..... they learn real fast not to make the head roo mad! [​IMG]

However, I wouldn;t smack them too hard... they are small creatures afterall.

When any of my roos get out of line I just grab them by their neck feathers and give a little tug and say no... they don't like it...especially when it's what they like doing to the underlings [​IMG] [​IMG] LOL

4. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Chickens are truly gentle fowl in lifes true scheme of things. Pecking order and small squabbles should be left to the flock in my opinion. Help is needed when things get out of hand and blood is drawn....otherwise it is normal chicken behavior.

bigzio

5. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*I wouldn't recommend smacking 'em either. My elderly neighbor tapped her favorite duck, ah-- when it goosed her while she was pruning roses-- she tapped him and it broke his neck. She felt so bad.

6. supdude

supdude Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    i didnt hit him hard at all, i was upset because 4 feathers came out of his mouth and hes so much bigger than the little chiks, he just goes CRAZY for food, his even pupils dilate like a shark.

7. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

you really shouldnt hit your chickens [​IMG]

8. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Yo dude. Don't choke your chicken bro. That ain't cool man. You need to bite it
    on the back of the neck and speak the language of chickenese.

9. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

don't take this to hard I take a golf club to my rooster when he gets out of line. and don't get mad if I didn't use the golf club he would be stew right now. He really learned who was golf I mean boss after that.

10. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    Are you feeding them enough?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by