can you use cat litter for bedding!!

I've been pondering trying the sweet PDZ. Definitely gonna give it a try, this nasty wet weather just makes the smell a million times worse, and having coops in city limits makes it a challenge to keep things extra clean and low odor!

I've been pondering trying the sweet PDZ. Definitely gonna give it a try, this nasty wet weather just makes the smell a million times worse, and having coops in city limits makes it a challenge to keep things extra clean and low odor!

I switched to Sweet PDZ last year and glad I did. Takes me like 30 seconds to scoop up all the poop from the night before. I add about a pint a week to keep the level around 1/2". It sure was funny when I first put it in, the pullets would fly over it to the roost.

JT

LoL, with the flighty ones I'll wait until they are in the run. Glad to hear that it actually helps, I grabbed some from Tractor supply a couple of days ago!

I switched to Sweet PDZ last year and glad I did. Takes me like 30 seconds to scoop up all the poop from the night before. I add about a pint a week to keep the level around 1/2". It sure was funny when I first put it in, the pullets would fly over it to the roost.

JT

JT

JT

Please tell us precisely what brand of litter?
They don't ingest any of it?
I just get the cheapest brand of non clumping unscented clay litter(ex. Tidy Cat) I don't know if they ingest it, but if they do I've seen no problems, and after the dust settles, when I first put it in, I've seen no problems there either. My chicks seem healthy and I've had zero leg problems, unlike some of the other bedding I've used.

Just use dirt. All other breedings even pine shavings can grow bacteria. The only bad thing about dirt is that if you use the dirt from your yard and not the bags of dirt it could sicken your chickens. Just but a couple bags of dirt and throw it down. Super easy to clean with a rake and it’s cheap.

No, they can eat it then it clots together when it becomes wet. So it would cause them to form a big ball in there gullet.
smile.png
I was wondering if I could use cat litter in the baby chicks box it smells

I was wondering if I could use cat litter in the baby chicks box it smells

The person you quoted hasn't been on since 2015. I don't think they will see your post.

How many chicks?
What size brooder?
What have you been using so far?
Is water getting spilled?
What are you feeding them?
how often are you cleaning it?
How old are they?

All these things affect whether it's stinky.

As to cat litter in the brooder I would not recommend it at all.

Back
Top Bottom