Can you use deep litter method in an open chicken run?

Ok, so this thread has inspired me to NOT go with the prefab option and to hire someone to help us build a coop instead. We've been scouring the web and we've come to love the Wichita coop (https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/wichita-cabin-coop). I'd still love to keep our plan for 5 chickens. Currently the coop is (I believe) designed for 5x8. We'd probably enlarge it to 6x10.

Now, since we are getting the chance to customize this coop to our exact specifications, is there anything folks would recommend changing/adding? Does the ventilation look like it's ok? We live in Chicagoland, so it can get somewhat stuffy in the summer and in the winter...well it's currently -10! Also, we were thinking of putting in a skylight in the coop for extra light, especially in the winter...silly idea?

Or any little tidbits that you've picked up along the way? Even little things that you would tweak if you did it all over again. We are only 'booksmart' and haven't learned anything yet by trial and error :) We have the next week to build our idea of a dream coop - we've found a great craftsman who is up for the challenge so the sky (and our budget ha!) is the limit!

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Good for you!

Wichita Cabin coop is a pretty good design.
I'd suggest that you do a bunch of reading on the threads from this search:
advanced search>titles only>Wichita coop

look for builds in your climate and ask questions of the folks who built them.

Much more ventilation. Increase the (loft) coop size, but you could maintain the same overall footprint. skirt around the cement blocks to keep diggers out. Be sure it has 2 x 4's laid on the flat for the perches. You can round over the top corners if you want. 1/2" hardware cloth everywhere to make it predator proof, including over the venting. Solid floor in the loft. No wire floor. During the winter, you can close in the run area with clear tarp or plastic to give them a green house if you are in a very cold area. But, if you do, of course, you'll have to leave a good part of it open for ventilation, and be very careful that it doesn't overheat when the outside temp goes up a bit and the sun is stronger. Good big clean out door in the loft. I'm sure you'll be MUCH happier with this design, and it lends it'self well to expansion... if you ever feel the need.

One more important consideration. Ramps which give birds access to and from the coop should not be too steep of an incline. Many of these smaller coops are not fit for larger breeds such as Rocks, Australorps, etc., if even a couple of them, at such height off the ground . It becomes a long trek up and down the ramp. Especially downward where it will be hard on their feet and damage them over time.

I would put a roost outside in the "run" mine spend quite a bit of time on the ones I have in the run.

I have the most wicked predators and the best solution I have had is laying wire fencing flat along the ground, so that the grass grows up in it. Hold it in place with long U shape staples. Perhaps in town you won't have those kinds of predators.

Good luck.

Mrs K

I'm so glad I found this thread. I learned something while reading this thread.
People here will really help you with your problem by sharing their experiences.

A few hooks placed relatively high in a couple of the framing studs will come so handy regardless of what you decide to build. I am amazed sometimes at how many times I use them! I hang an egg basket on them when I go into the coop and have to put it down for a second. I set it down on the floor once while I checked a lower nest. I stepped backwards and, well, it was ugly! I drilled a hole in the fork I use for turning over the litter and hang it up there rather than prop it up in a corner and later forget it's there. I have a poop board and the hardware cloth scoop I use for cleaning it stays up there on a hook all the time. Even the kids know exactly where it is when they take care of the chickens for me. On the same hook as the litter scoop I keep a wide bladed spackle spreader-outer (technical term) for scraping dried poop off the roost. If I've needed a rain jacket to go out to work in the coop, I have a place off the floor to hang it while I'm busy. Yep, hooks!!!

Welcome! For my 2 cents I would buy a storage shed and add a dog run to it. The dog run has a gate and you can cut a doggie door into the shed for the chickens.
I am using a shed myself. in my case I use the deep litter method in the shed but have a plastic fence I move around the yard so they have fresh lawn to eat and scratch.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom