Can you use modified dust( material you put under retaining wall block) to help keep outside chicken run from smelling. I see a lot of people use sand

Lev

Hatching
May 8, 2023
can you use ( material you use under retaining wall block) to help keep outside chicken run from smelling. I see a lot of people use sand.

Sand works... or it doesn't. It won't work for me because my climate is too wet. I've read that you need a really dry climate for it not to stink.

What works for a lot (maybe most?) people here on BYC is wood chips. The kind you get from an arborist, not the shredded bark you can buy at the store. Those work so well because they are a good source of carbon to balance out the high nitrogen content of chicken poop.

Where are you located, @Lev? You can put your location in your profile, and then it's always there so people don't need to ask. Climate matters -- a lot! -- when it comes to chickens. What works for me in Michigan might not work at all for you. If you're outside the US, it helps to know that too, as some things that we'd recommend might not be available, or might be known by a different name.

And,
:welcome

Sand works... or it doesn't. It won't work for me because my climate is too wet. I've read that you need a really dry climate for it not to stink.

What works for a lot (maybe most?) people here on BYC is wood chips. The kind you get from an arborist, not the shredded bark you can buy at the store. Those work so well because they are a good source of carbon to balance out the high nitrogen content of chicken poop.

Where are you located, @Lev? You can put your location in your profile, and then it's always there so people don't need to ask. Climate matters -- a lot! -- when it comes to chickens. What works for me in Michigan might not work at all for you. If you're outside the US, it helps to know that too, as some things that we'd recommend might not be available, or might be known by a different name.

And,
:welcome

Back
Top Bottom