Can you use watering vertical nipples with 1/2 inch PVC?

Stokley

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 24, 2013
I tried using nipples with 3/4 inch PVC and they worked but the pressure (from my Well) was too great for them. (Too hard to push the nipple value and came out way too fast.)
I ordered a pressure reducer from BackYardFlock and it came with an attachment on each end to glue to 1/2 inch PVC.
It appears that 1/2 inch might be too tight for the nipples so I'm asking if any one has tried this?
Thank you for any response.

Last edited:

ChickenCanoe

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Nov 23, 2010
St. Louis, MO
I've found that if you're drilling holes in the pipe for the nipples, you need 1" or larger pipe. The radius of 1/2" is too tight .
Pressure regulators are necessary with all except systems that have an unpressurized gravity system. And even those can't have a lot of head height.

ETA
You can always come out of the regulator with 1/2" and then use reducers to upsize to 1 or 1 1/2".

Last edited:

cajun chicken

Songster
Apr 6, 2015
Central City, LA
I've found that if you're drilling holes in the pipe for the nipples, you need 1" or larger pipe. The radius of 1/2" is too tight .
Pressure regulators are necessary with all except systems that have an unpressurized gravity system. And even those can't have a lot of head height.

ETA
You can always come out of the regulator with 1/2" and then use reducers to upsize to 1 or 1 1/2".

You could put a PVC tee with a cap in the line where you want to put each nipple. Then just tap in a nipple in the cap. Should have plenty of room to install the nipple. I don't know anything about the regulator you speak of but I built a poor man's auto-waterer using a toilet valve. Here's a link to the one I based mine off of. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-pvc-true-auto-waterer.651102/

Top Bottom