Can you use wet grit

Sure. They pick up natural grit when they forage and that’s exposed to all kinds of weather all of the time. I stopped “giving” them grit in a separate dish a long time ago - I still buy it but I just toss it into the litter of the run or broadcast it across the yard from time to time and let them find it on their own. They get enough but don’t gorge on it, and it’s good for them to use their natural foraging instincts for what they need.

Sure. They pick up natural grit when they forage and that’s exposed to all kinds of weather all of the time. I stopped “giving” them grit in a separate dish a long time ago - I still buy it but I just toss it into the litter of the run or broadcast it across the yard from time to time and let them find it on their own. They get enough but don’t gorge on it, and it’s good for them to use their natural foraging instincts for what they need.
Hi Blooie! It's nice to see you! I bought some cattle panels earlier in the summer, I'm planning on doing hoop run to give my chickens more covered winter space. Thanks for your coop article!

Hi Blooie! It's nice to see you! I bought some cattle panels earlier in the summer, I'm planning on doing hoop run to give my chickens more covered winter space. Thanks for your coop article!

Oh, thanks! I hang around here yet, more on the peripheral than I used to be, but still here. Be sure to post pictures of your hoop run! We had to rehome our chickens 2 years ago this month, but by golly that hoop has still stood firm and we haven’t made any adjustments or repairs. We still think the way it stands up to Wyoming’s worst is because we didn’t use any bracing anywhere, so it flexes with our high winds and snow loads instead of being stiff and fighting them. A couple of Januarys ago we had an officially recorded wind gust of 90mph and sideways blowing snow. Sustained winds were 60mph + and the run kept the chickens snug. I hope you get the same results we have had! I’m excited to be getting chickens again soon now that Ken’s year as Grand Master of Masons in Wyoming is over. The entire year we were gone 201 days - that’s a lot of travel!

Glad the coop article helped. It’s a fast weekend build (the run, not the coop itself) and it just takes care of itself. I’m too lazy for a lot of work! :lau

Back
Top Bottom