CAN YOU use....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by annie3001, Oct 11, 2010.

1. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    hello.
    i was thinking on making my own incubator, because i thought i might have a broody (would like tho) chicken, but since i dont... i was thinking i can make a incubator.
    cant using a 250 watt heat source work? by placeing the eggs in a cage, and turning the eggs every few hours? would that work. please excuse me if this sounds crazy... just thought "why not" .

oh and yes i have been reading about incubating & hatching eggs threads lately.
    [​IMG]

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    for heat it might work but a cage wouldnt hold the humidity. you would need something like an aquarium and a timer to cycle the heat off and on so it wouldnt get too hot. Hope someone here who has built one can tell you more I have never built my own just hatched in a store bought incubator.

3. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    There have been eggs that hatched out in the open but it really doesn't produce good results. As was stated above, the humidity would be a problem.

You also wouldn't want to put a 250 watt light in an enclosure. That would be too large unless you were making a really BIG incubator, in which case you'd want more than one smaller heat source - not one super hot bulb.

I'd go with a smaller bulb in an ice chest that's been altered, if I were making an incubator. Or perhaps an aquarium with styrofoam sheets lining it, inside and outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by