can.....

thank you that is what i needed to here so my mom will now let me have chickens:D
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

1. Don't watch Fox news, or you will think everything that walks will kill you.

2. I where a dust mask (bandana) when I clean out my coop. If you think about it the dried dropings and dust that comes off them from any animal, is not the best thing to be dreathing.

I protect myself from dust and don't give it a second tought.

Joe

hey upgirl,
google the words "zoonotic" and chicken or poultry and see what comes up.
i found this link instantly:
http://depts.washington.edu/rubelab...ASE PREVENTION WHEN WORKING WITH POULTRY.html

i think any and all domestic animals can transmit zoonotic diseases (non-human to human diseases) but some are far more common and or/catchy than others.
common sense and good hygiene are, of course, important when caring for any species.

good luck.

As a painter I was cautioned heavily against Histoplasmosis.

Its a big problem when preparing bridges and ledges full of pidgeon crap for fresh paint. A dust mask may be okay for small ammounts of droppings, but ideally you'd want to mist all the litter to keep dust down and if its really bad use a half face respirator and the appropriate organic vapor filter cartidges.

They arent that expensive, and with proper care they can last years. I've yet to use one as my flock is small and free range but when i finish my chicken compound I'll have good cause to take proper precautions.

Back
Top Bottom