Canadian Geese in my pond!!!!!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by ro.netcmarie, Feb 19, 2009.

1. ro.netcmarie

ro.netcmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2008
    travelers rest, sc
    Yesterday I got to looking out in the pond and to my amazement their were a pair of geese, just swimming and honking away.... they stayed for about 30 minutes, i beleive it may be the same pair that comes every February. they use to stay all day and feed on the grass and swim, but they just come every so often now. I would like them to stay around, maybe to build a nest and lay eggs, is there anything i can try to maybe convince them that my pond is great to stay at and have a family?? Any sugestions would help.

2. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    Try putting some food out for them , throw bread

3. mahsmaj

mahsmaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Hannibal, Missouri
    I wish the Canadian Geese would stay around my pond too! I have fed them and everything... I wish they would just stay and raise a brood of goslings! [​IMG]

4. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    we do everything to make sure they go away. well not everything. i have had up to sixty on my waterfront lot. what a mess! [​IMG]
    now the neighbor on the other will do anything. he was shooting right out his front door. he even shot over the road at them. i called 911 and the DEC can and picked up the dead ones in the road.. yep he left them right in the road. he told them he didn't want them messing in his yard... he is crazy.

5. tmb3fan

tmb3fan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2008
    Central Mississippi
    3 years in a row we have had a pair of Canadian geese hatch their babies beside our pond. It is fun to see the little goslings. However, this year, we have 22 ducks on the pond and I hope the geese will stay away. They still land here and stay a few hours each day, but I want them to go away. They are aggesive towards our ducks and they make a huge mess everywhere, including our driveway.

6. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    DH and I were walking in the woods one day and just happen to look down in the creek and there was an all white goose floating around. We tried coaxing it with bread but it would have none of that. It finally left on it's own and we've never seen it again. It was such a pretty thing [​IMG]

7. ShelleyInAlberta

ShelleyInAlberta Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2009
    Sherwood Park, Alberta
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  8. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    The actual name for these guys are Canada Geese [​IMG] .

9. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    We have a Canada Goose--it's not mine. Just showed up one day and hasn't left. He/she has been here now for 2 months. My neighbor found a dead goose in his field and thinks it may have been his/her mate. It literally hangs right with my magpie and pekins. He/she has never been aggressive and lets my kids walk right up to it. Very Bizarre. I'll have to take a picture. It's free to go any time it wants, it just doesn't want to. We have Canadian Geese fly right over our house and it looks up like it's thinking about it, and then says, "nah...." lol Crazy part is it goes right in my barn at night and nests with my sebbies and my ducks! Crazy!!!

10. Lil_Chickadee

Lil_Chickadee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2009
    WV
    We have a pair that comes to our pond every year and has babies. I love them. They stay on their part of the pond except at feeding time and the mess is minimal. I look forward to their coming every year and always hate to see the leave. I have noticed what I believe to be the male has a bit of an attitude problem. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by