Canadians check in here....

Ooo fishers are sneaky little buggers. Especially with chickens. Are you going to put any animals/birds on the land?

Hi @Cooba ! Welcome to BYC. Do you have birds or are you planning on some?
Hi there.....picking up 5 Dominique chicks and 5 australorps in April. Ordered my coop yesterday. Changed it up a bit. Went with a 8x10’ with a gable roof. 20 sq. Ft extra for the same price👍🏼.

back from hunting coyotes, got none, did not even see any.

but saw otter, fisher and marten tracks on our land which was cool.
Why do you hunt coyotes? Just wondering. I see them here hunting mice on my property. Video taped them mating one year. Lol I just leave them alone myself. Survival of the fittest. I’ll have to electrify a fence around my chickens. They went thru and picked off about 10 of my neighbours oldest chickens. He was new to the area. But his hens are loose and I see them in the neighbours yard even. Just asking for trouble 😖.

Why do you hunt coyotes? Just wondering. I see them here hunting mice on my property. Video taped them mating one year. Lol I just leave them alone myself. Survival of the fittest. I’ll have to electrify a fence around my chickens. They went thru and picked off about 10 of my neighbours oldest chickens. He was new to the area. But his hens are loose and I see them in the neighbours yard even. Just asking for trouble 😖.
a few reasons,
first off i live in prime coyote country (Sask and Alberta have the highest amount of coyotes) also we have some of the highest value coyotes (in the fur trade) i hunt them for there hides,

and to protect prey animals, deer can take a heavy loss in certain weather to coyotes (well the fawns that is) just like raccoons with bird`s i have no issue trapping, hunting and shooting them.

a few reasons,
first off i live in prime coyote country (Sask and Alberta have the highest amount of coyotes) also we have some of the highest value coyotes (in the fur trade) i hunt them for there hides,

and to protect prey animals, deer can take a heavy loss in certain weather to coyotes (well the fawns that is) just like raccoons with bird`s i have no issue trapping, hunting and shooting them.
I see your point too. Are they humane traps? That I do have an issue with. I hate to see anything suffer . Shooting outright is more humane. My neighbour heard a fawn...one of two..get it a couple of years ago. Really unnerved him. We had a resident swan one year that my husband and I nicknamed Big Bird. Well one night when I arrived home I must have scared off the coyotes bc in the morning I found Big. Bird with all his feathers removed from his abdomen. Ready to be eaten. Poor guy.

I see your point too. Are they humane traps? That I do have an issue with. I hate to see anything suffer . Shooting outright is more humane. My neighbour heard a fawn...one of two..get it a couple of years ago. Really unnerved him. We had a resident swan one year that my husband and I nicknamed Big Bird. Well one night when I arrived home I must have scared off the coyotes bc in the morning I found Big. Bird with all his feathers removed from his abdomen. Ready to be eaten. Poor guy.
i use only use humane traps. (its the law)

here in Canada (not sure about the states though) we signed the international humane agreement of trapping or something like that. that requires us by law to only use humane traps which are by the way certified to the standards of the agreement, i use a foot hold trap for coyotes which has rubber jaw on it and i can say a mouse trap hurts more then it :)

i use only use humane traps. (its the law)

here in Canada (not sure about the states though) we signed the international humane agreement of trapping or something like that. that requires us by law to only use humane traps which are by the way certified to the standards of the agreement, i use a foot hold trap for coyotes which has rubber jaw on it and i can say a mouse trap hurts more then it :)
That is fantastic. I once tried to trap a young coyote bc he was full of mange but only succeeded in trapping the neighbours King Charles cavalier and then a skunk. Can you see me at midnight trying to set a skunk loose. I was successful and he didn’t even spray. Now we just trap raccoons that eat our grapes in the fall and relocate them. 🤫

Back
Top Bottom