Canadians check in here....

Beautiful pics. It when I see the pics I wish I had a rooster. LOL
My poor RIR's are looking a little ragged over the winter. They seem skinnier and losing feathers (think they have been plucking as they have been
"cooped" up due to cold weather. Have checked for mites and lice and none to be seen.
Think I will start Fermented their food. Does anyone know how much grain to start? The recipes I saw say a small amount covered in warm water. I am just unsure what a small amount is. I know I add food each day but do I also add water and ACV or just initially?
thanks

Beautiful pics. It when I see the pics I wish I had a rooster. LOL
My poor RIR's are looking a little ragged over the winter. They seem skinnier and losing feathers (think they have been plucking as they have been
"cooped" up due to cold weather. Have checked for mites and lice and none to be seen.
Think I will start Fermented their food. Does anyone know how much grain to start? The recipes I saw say a small amount covered in warm water. I am just unsure what a small amount is. I know I add food each day but do I also add water and ACV or just initially?
thanks
You don't even need ACV, but if you do use it, just at start.

My recipe:
Quote:

I think we really need to put together a Canadian breeders list. :)
I think that's a good idea.
thumbsup.gif

Great Thanks Aoxa

I only have 8 chickens so this should work great. I can use this process on layers? Most of the articles indicate it works to "fatten them up" but the health benefits seem great to all. Anyone know if I can do this with duck food also?
I have two Pekin ducks I feed seperately.
Thanks again

Great Thanks Aoxa

I only have 8 chickens so this should work great. I can use this process on layers? Most of the articles indicate it works to "fatten them up" but the health benefits seem great to all. Anyone know if I can do this with duck food also?
I have two Pekin ducks I feed seperately.
Thanks again
I feed my ducks and geese the same thing, so yes. It's actually better for them to eat, as it's already wet. They can swallow it easier than dry.

I use it for everyone. Layers, breeders, meat birds, chicks, etc. :)

so…. Aoxa
you feed your ducks and chickens the same food?
I haven't been. I give the chickens omega enriched chicken food and the Pekins muskovy duck finisher as I couldn't find anything else. Was told that the ducks needed a higher protein food?
would be much easier to give them all the same if possible.

Last edited:
so…. Aoxa
you feed your ducks and chickens the same food?
I haven't been. I give the chickens omega enriched chicken food and the Pekins musky duck finisher as I couldn't find anything else. Was told that the ducks needed a higher protein food?
would be much easier to give them all the same if possible.
No I don't think they need higher protein, if anything I'd imagine lower protein... Angel wing often happens in waterfowl fed the same chick feed as chickens because it's too high in protein.

I feed an un-medicated starter to everyone year round. Geese I know for sure should not have high protein. Their diet should consist mostly of grass in the spring/summer/fall months. I can't imagine ducks being too different.

My drake is the fat one in the back. The other two are wild ducks who stopped in for a visit. You can tell by his condition that he is eating very well :)

Back
Top Bottom