Canadians check in here....

HI Everyone,
I'm new and I'm from Ontario (relatively near Ottawa). This is my first time keeping chickens. I purchased some laying hens (2 partridge coloured americaunas, 1 black americauna mix, 1 barred rock, 1 leghorn and two rhode island reds). It's been an adventure building the coop and getting to know the "girls". I look forward to learning from all of you. :)
welcome-byc.gif
Sounds like you have a fun mix of hens to start with
yippiechickie.gif

Hey Everyone,

So my coop is on its way! Concrete poured, base made, now I'm hoping the rest will come together quickly! I'm wondering if anyone in Ontario has had luck with finding battery cage hens to adopt? I'm having a hell of a time trying to find some and I have contacted pretty much every organization/poultry farm I can think of. This is my last ditch effort to see if anyone in Ontario can help. If I cant find any I will order some chicks but I love the thought of giving some adult hens who had it rough a better life. thanks in advance!
Did you try burnbrae farms to see if they would sell off some of their year old chickens that they are replacing with younger hens? I'm not sure if they do it or not…couldn't find anything on their site. Good luck! :)

Well Burnbrae farms emailed back and said they don't sell spent hens in small batches from their farms and are unaware of any that do. Looks like its baby chicks for me! It's sad since I would really like to give an ex-battery cage hen a great second chance but looks like Ontario Farmers aren't as willing to send their hens to rescue or even any hen rescues I could get them from like there are in other provinces/countries.

thanks anyway pamlsmith!

I'm near Kingston Ontario. Anyone nearby know where I can get some laying hens to get started? The local farm stores ready-to-lay hens have their beaks trimmed, and I just can't look at them like that!

I'm near Kingston Ontario. Anyone nearby know where I can get some laying hens to get started? The local farm stores ready-to-lay hens have their beaks trimmed, and I just can't look at them like that!
You can also look on kijiji. I found a local farmer on kijiji who sold me my laying hens. Good luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom