Canadians check in here....

Is there a thread about keeping chickens in cold weather? Ontario peeps you feelin' me? Just want some advice on making sure my chickens make it through the winter. My boyfriend got worried when it got minus -3C in the coop the other night. It is well insulated and we have an air exchanger installed. And a water heater so the water doesn't freeze.

I have heard that we should not add a heating source because if there is a power outage the chickens won't be acclimatized. So does that mean they can be in -30CELCIUS temps? Cuz that's what it gets here. Actually last year we made it into colder!

Chickens are more cold tolerant than you think. An insulated coop and water heater, you'll be fine.
What I would add in, if not already, is the deep litter method for bedding. I use pine shavings and keep adding as well as turning instead of cleaning out the coop. The decomposition will add heat as well.

Here is a thread that's quite helpful
http://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com/2013/11/homesteading-in-winter-cold-weather.html

My chickens are in my 40 ft hoophouse greenhouse (no wall insulation). Inside we built a straw house and are using deep litter. Chickens are happier than clams. Oh, I'm in Alberta.

Chickens are more cold tolerant than you think. An insulated coop and water heater, you'll be fine.
What I would add in, if not already, is the deep litter method for bedding. I use pine shavings and keep adding as well as turning instead of cleaning out the coop. The decomposition will add heat as well.

Here is a thread that's quite helpful
http://www.fresh-eggs-daily.com/2013/11/homesteading-in-winter-cold-weather.html

My chickens are in my 40 ft hoophouse greenhouse (no wall insulation). Inside we built a straw house and are using deep litter. Chickens are happier than clams. Oh, I'm in Alberta.
thanks roosterhaven!

Can you put the dogloo in a garage or shed for winter? They'll be spending many months cooped up and that is too small a place even for just 2 hens
to spend a winter in.
Oh dear! No no, the dogloo is in the run, with a 'summer house' attached to it. It's a 5' x 15' run plus nesting boxes, roosts, ladder... so plenty of room for four hens to run around in. They hang out in the dogloo during the day, but I've fixed up the summer house to be warmer as per BCBoy's suggestions, as that's where they seem to want to roost. So far, it's pretty cozy despite crazy winds here last week, and miraculously the plastic I put around the run seems to have stayed on...
tongue.png

I have 2 Columbian Rock roosters to give away for free! Located in SW Ontario
They were born on the farm this spring. Free ranging.

This is the daddy roo. The others look very similar with a bit more brown mottling. Excellent protectors!

Back
Top Bottom