Canadians check in here....

Bitchy

Miss Kitty

Sweetness

Big Momma

My older ladies today
1f601.png

This area is currently suffering an infestation of tent caterpillars. Absolutely horrible. My information is chicks will not eat tent caterpillars but guinea hens might. Does anyone have experience with this? I definitely do not want to go through this again. Ugh.

Hi BradnerGirl; I am also considering some heritage breeds for next year. I know the University of Alberta has a heritage breed program. Peavey Mart acts as an agent for them. If there is a store in your area that might be a good place to start. The chicks are considerably more expensive than non-heritage, $7-8 each rather than $2-3. I opted for non-heritage for my first flock, which has gone pretty well so far, but am looking to do something with more of a view to sustainability next year. I particularly want to try Chantecler, which does not appear to be a breed U of A deals with. Sigh. Hope this is helpful.

This area is currently suffering an infestation of tent caterpillars.  Absolutely horrible.  My information is chicks will not eat tent caterpillars but guinea hens might.  Does anyone have experience with this? I definitely do not want to go through this again.  Ugh.

I have guineas and I would think they would eat the caterpillars if they were within reach. I have no tent caterpillars in my yard to test the theory though.

Back
Top Bottom