Canadians check in here....

The girls have their own compose pile to scratch through which doesn't mean they leave mine alone. We are adding on a green house which in the winter will give them added space.
1f60a.png
Bet they love that! and of course they'll want the compost pile they are not supposed to have, even more
wink.png
Their like children that way
gig.gif

We currently have 7 Maran Cross Hens and 1 Maran Cross Cockerel.

In our brooder / grow out pen we currently have Blue and Black Copper Marans, Swedish Flower Hens, Olive Eggers, and Wheaton / Blue Wheaton Ameraucanas. I'm excited for these to grow up, and then I can get more eggs / do some breeding
celebrate.gif

Thinking I'll be hatching some more eggs / breeds / lineages in the spring, so i'm excited for that too
lol.png

My hubby has finally excepted the fact that our yard will be mostly for chickens
lau.gif

My husband panicked when one girl didn't come home to the coop last night. She is the smart one who is very resourceful in finding a way into our yard but she can't seem to figure out how to get back. I told him to think like a hen where would you go to get out of the elements and feel safe in the dark. I checked under the porch. She had made herself a little whole and was nestled in for the night. I got her to come by bring some vegetables out that I had cut up. My chickens eat out of my hand so she was curiuos to see what I had. I then picked her up scolded her and put her in the coop. I've scolded her before it dosen't work in keeping her out of our yard. You would think having 3/4 quarters of an acrea to roam she would be satisfied but no she love my composed and garden area better.
1f600.png
1f601.png

My husband panicked when one girl didn't come home to the coop last night. She is the smart one who is very resourceful in finding a way into our yard but she can't seem to figure out how to get back. I told him to think like a hen where would you go to get out of the elements and feel safe in the dark. I checked under the porch. She had made herself a little whole and was nestled in for the night. I got her to come by bring some vegetables out that I had cut up. My chickens eat out of my hand so she was curiuos to see what I had. I then picked her up scolded her and put her in the coop. I've scolded her before it dosen't work in keeping her out of our yard. You would think having 3/4 quarters of an acrea to roam she would be satisfied but no she love my composed and garden area better.
1f600.png
1f601.png
hahaha what a rascal that one!
tongue.png

We had an older gal we ended up naming casper, cause she was like a ghost...she got herself past any barrier no problem! it was like she walked through walls
wink.png

Now we just have a girl named maggie may who's a sass ball and Lemon who's too curious for her own good
gig.gif

For any of you in Ontario-passing this info along. Found it on local poultry website. I haven't used the program but have certainly had experiences in the past where I wished I could get answers on mystery deaths. It's my understanding that ANY vet in Ontario can submit a dead bird for necropsy to U of G on your behalf. May take a bit of convincing a non-poultry vet to help you out.

http://www.poultrytalkontario.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1225&p=18013&hilit=guelph#p18013

The green house is coming along. The hens have been been keeping an eye on the construction. Today was a warm 17 degrees celcius so we got a lot done, tomorrow walls will go up.
Wow, that's looking great! I'm sure the girls will love it.
highfive.gif
Will you just be using poly to cover? Or windows?
We made a greenhouse / hoophouse with poly at our old house and I loved it, eventually we will be doing it here as well. Hoping to have it for the spring
jumpy.gif

Yes, it's been very warm here too...almost like the calm before the storm!! I believe it was 16 degrees the last couple days.
We are in the process of building our second coop and run that will be attached to the original, this will allow us to integrate new young members as well as have a spare coop for breeding / recovery / integration, etc. I'm very excited about it! It's just about got all the walls and roof up, getting ready for the plywood and window.
yesss.gif

For any of you in Ontario-passing this info along. Found it on local poultry website. I haven't used the program but have certainly had experiences in the past where I wished I could get answers on mystery deaths. It's my understanding that ANY vet in Ontario can submit a dead bird for necropsy to U of G on your behalf. May take a bit of convincing a non-poultry vet to help you out.

http://www.poultrytalkontario.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1225&p=18013&hilit=guelph#p18013
That's fantastic!! I wish something like that were in BC...I've heard about vets doing it cheap for learning experiences, but y'never know.
I think I might look a little bit into this and see if there is something similar around here
fl.gif

Great info to pass along!
thumbsup.gif

Wow, that's looking great! I'm sure the girls will love it. :highfive:  Will you just be using poly to cover? Or windows?
We made a greenhouse / hoophouse with poly at our old house and I loved it, eventually we will be doing it here as well. Hoping to have it for the spring :jumpy

Yes, it's been very warm here too...almost like the calm before the storm!! I believe it was 16 degrees the last couple days. 

We are in the process of building our second coop and run that will be attached to the original, this will allow us to integrate new young members as well as have a spare coop for breeding / recovery / integration, etc. I'm very excited about it! It's just about got all the walls and roof up, getting ready for the plywood and window. 
:yesss:

That's fantastic!! I wish something like that were in BC...I've heard about vets doing it cheap for learning experiences, but y'never know. 

I think I might look a little bit into this and see if there is something similar around here :fl

Great info to pass along! :thumbsup

I'm just excited that there's finally a recognition that many people have backyard flocks. Maybe this will lead to more veterinarian students sticking around another year to educate themselves on avian medicine. It's frustrating to not be able to find help when you need it. With so many of the general public scared of things like bird flu and antibiotic resistant bugs this seems to be an unserviced need.

I'm just excited that there's finally a recognition that many people have backyard flocks. Maybe this will lead to more veterinarian students sticking around another year to educate themselves on avian medicine. It's frustrating to not be able to find help when you need it. With so many of the general public scared of things like bird flu and antibiotic resistant bugs this seems to be an unserviced need.
Too true!! It's amazing how few there are in general that do not know much about any animal other than dogs, cats, bunnies and the usual "pets" it seems.

@6littlegirls they look very happy indeed! Great timing
wink.png

we are still in the process of finishing up our second coop for the new chickies, to help them integrate into the original flock. Were hoping to have it finished by friday...or at least finished to the point they can be in it, and then complete the jazzing up once their in the big coop.

I told hubby he's not allowed to go hunting until he has it finished...he is on a mission now!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom