Canadians check in here....

Hi!

I wonder if you guys could help me. We see from Northern Ireland, but my husband works for a Canadain company and so we have the opportunity to move over. He works remotely so he can literally work anywhere with a decent internet connection.

Canada is so vast we just need.some help to narrow down areas to consider living in.

We would be moving with 4 kids aged 1-12 so we need access to schools, extra-curricular activities etc. We would like somewhere that gets warm, mostly dry summers and winters that you can ski during. My eldest is into his skiing, but is still pretty amateur so a few slopes is totally fine, doesn't have to be world class runs.

We are looking for somewhere that there's plenty to do outside and affordable housing. Preferably less than 2 hours away from an airport as we expect we would get a lot of family visiting.

Any ideas? Help much appreciated!
Pm me if you like, I'll answer any questions you have.

Hi!

I wonder if you guys could help me. We see from Northern Ireland, but my husband works for a Canadain company and so we have the opportunity to move over. He works remotely so he can literally work anywhere with a decent internet connection.

Canada is so vast we just need.some help to narrow down areas to consider living in.

We would be moving with 4 kids aged 1-12 so we need access to schools, extra-curricular activities etc. We would like somewhere that gets warm, mostly dry summers and winters that you can ski during. My eldest is into his skiing, but is still pretty amateur so a few slopes is totally fine, doesn't have to be world class runs.

We are looking for somewhere that there's plenty to do outside and affordable housing. Preferably less than 2 hours away from an airport as we expect we would get a lot of family visiting.

Any ideas? Help much appreciated!
Hi there. I live just outside of Ottawa, Ontario and we have everything you're looking for. Ottawa has an International Airport (although not as many direct flights as Toronto), tons of ski hills within an hour drive, beautiful hot summers and snowy but often pretty cold winters. There are a still several communities around Ottawa where the housing is still relatively affordable.

my husband works for a Canadain company and so we have the opportunity to move over. He works remotely so he can literally work anywhere with a decent internet connection.

First thing I would do is check the cost of a flight from where you are to where you would move. There are serious differences in prices from one area to another in Canada and some of them are many many transfers of planes so it take much longer.

The next is the cost of housing. Try https://www.realtor.ca/mls it is a listing of many different realtor companies. You can search by price and things you want, like lot size and they have a little code to tell you how the area is for activities, shopping, and schools etc.

oh, and you will want to check average temperatures too. It matters.

lastly, check with the municipality's urban planners asking for: flood zone maps in the area, and how many chickens can I keep ? ( we have a max based on sq feet / sq meters of the lot where I am, and they have rules about the henhouse+run size (minimums).

there is also the option of having your kids do immersion in a new language. In Quebec they can go to school in French and learn the language in special programs. You are not obliged to send them to French schools, since you are here temporarily, (if not all of them like the idea) but it is very useful to have many languages.

everyone will tell you their home town is best ;) I can say the same, but better to find your own paradise.

happy travels !

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom