Canadians check in here....

Welcome to all !!!
Thanks for all the info Martin Grove
I have used a heated dog dish the last couple of winters but they enjoy walking /sitting/ pooping etc in it ....and then there's the duck cooooop another mess....lol!
No snow here yet but another good frost on the ground this morning and I thought I lost my Embden gander this morning when the trio refused to come into the coop last night and instead enjoyed a night on the pond ...I had only two females in the yard ...I went down to the pond and he was surronded by ice and couldnt get out .... I new the sun was going to melt the ice ...hope he learned his lesson ...the turkey ...oh I mean goooooose !

We had a good 5 inches of snow last night so the girls and Loud Larry our new rooster (a gift from a bird buddy) spend the day indoors as it was really windy and crappy out. Oh well we knew it was coming just were pretending it would be a brown christmas;). The girls are laying about 6 eggs a day and I think that's dandy for our 1.5 year old Isas (9 of them) 1 buff orpington and 3 Ameracanas. The last 4 are about 5 months old and will hopefully start soon. Hope all is well for you guys down east!

Good morning !

Well we are spoiled with above average weather here in my part of Québec, they are calling for 15celcius this week ! woot woot !

About the water issus for Winter....Although I have not used it yet since the weather is still not bellow zero...I bought a dog water bowl and I placed my chicken water dispenser IN it ! I put more water so that it comes to the rim of the dog bowl, but with the chicken waterer in it, it prevents the birds from pooping and stepping in it, only giving them access to the outter edge of it....now....lets hope it works well once it is plugged in....lol....but so far to drink out of it is very easy for my chicks ....my cat even tested it out for them and liked it ! lol

Proud Mama of 3 Silkies, 2 Braham Bantams, 2 Milles Fleurs , 1 Blue-Black Polish & 1 Birchin Cochin & 1 Cat who thinks he's a Chicken ! lol
smile.png

Quote:
Transplanted Nova Scotian here.

I have read about people who put sand in the bottom of a heated water bowl and sit a gallon waterer on the sand. Apparently it keeps the birds from messing in it and works very well.

Chris

I have read about people who put sand in the bottom of a heated water bowl and sit a gallon waterer on the sand. Apparently it keeps the birds from messing in it and works very well.

Chris

Sounds like a great idea.....thanks a bunch​

Here I am as excited as a little kid! 1 of my 3 Amerecana Lovely Ladies gave us a spendid green egg today so they're in production now. They're spring hatches from a friend and it is just great to see them now at work. My husband says he's glad I get excited over simply things.
big_smile.png
With our other babes we're up to 8 eggs a day now. Dandy!

Back
Top Bottom