1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Canary on eggs

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by Saker1, May 18, 2017.

1. Saker1

Saker1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2015
    Suffolk, England
    I have a large outside aviary with four canaries in it, one male and three females, one of my canaries has stared to lay eggs and sit on them, and my question is when the chicks hatch is there any special food I should feed the mother etc?

2. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Congratulations! You can give them soaked seed (it's more easily digested - just soak the seed for 4-6 hours, drain and replace with new stuff every day), egg food/song restorer, millet sprays and their normal food, plus greens they like. That's what my bourkes and finches have been given and they've raised quite a few babies this year.

Just keep an eye out for mice. I've recently had to raise some Java finch chicks (from a day old) after a mouse attack. One is missing most of his toes (it was a miracle he survived as he was so pale when I brought them inside from blood loss) and the rest are all missing at least one. The mice were eating my finch eggs too so now we have plastic down two sides and insect screening on the door end as the mice were squeezing through 1/4 inch mesh! What a nightmare!

3. Saker1

Saker1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2015
    Suffolk, England
    Thanks for the reply! this is the first time I've raised canaries and I was kinda worried about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by