candeling eggs day 9

poulet

Songster
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
I am incubating eggs fo the first time and am unsure if my eggs are okay or not I cannot see any viens in any of the eggs but there is a dark mass in all of them and in most I think I can see an air sack.
Do you always have viens ?
Also during candling I managed to slightly crack an egg do I throw it now or is there any chance of it's survival ?
The dark mass moves always to the top of the egg when I turn it is this normal ?

If its dark its fine. you should see an airsack at the fat end of the egg. if you cracked it and the membrane is intact it should be fine to keep in the bator. I heard stories of people dropping there eggs and they still hatch
smile.png

Hope this helps

Are you candling in a pitch dark room? What color are the eggs you are candling? What are you using for your light source to see inside the egg with?

I would toss the cracked egg if it is showing any sign of leaking. Otherwise if it is a tiny hairline you can try a little candle wax and seal it over gently.

With the right light and a very dark room, unless you have dark shelled eggs you should see veins. Veins means the embryo is growing. Just like in a human baby and the placenta the veins are a network that conenect the chick and the membrane that allows for exchange of nutrition and gases.

http://www.minkhollow.ca/HatchingProgram/Candling/Fresh/index.html

Here are some photos you can look at and compare with.

Thanks the egg is not leaking so I will try a bit of candle wax:)
The eggs are brown so maybe that is why I cannot see veins , I have got a candling lamp but the room was not pitch black.
thanks for your replys

will candle was work on a tiny dent? 3 of 24 that arrived today are dented on one end, I'm about to candle them before I do anything else.
Thanks!

i was wondering if it would work on a dent in a egg too, because the other day, there was an egg we got, that had a little dent in it.
thanks,
paige.

As far as the crack in one of your eggs, you can use unscented wax. I have used wax that I used to use when canning (canning wax) or liquid band aide works good too.

Back
Top Bottom