Candeling

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dirty Dozen, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Dirty Dozen

Dirty Dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Long Island, New York
    Hi! I just put a bunch of Silkie eggs in bator. Usually when I candle I take each one out seperately, candle it & put it back, constantly opening & closing bator. This batch is alot of eggs. How long can I leave top off to candle them all at once? I usually candle between days 7-10. Thanx!

2. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    I would do a few one day, then toss the infertile eggs and candle the rest the next

3. macdoogle2

macdoogle2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    San Diego
    A brody hen will leave the nest to go eat and poop and exercise daily. She will be off the nest for several minutes at least. You should be ok to leave the lid off for several minutes when you candle.

4. sager:)silkies

sager:)silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Canada
    depends on bator if have a hova bator lift lid set lid down take turner out and set lid back on ao that way the bator holds temp it aint gina hurt the eggs for bing out i heard they can be out for up to 15 min

5. Dirty Dozen

Dirty Dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Long Island, New York
    Good ideas...thanx!

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I always take at least 18 out at a time, cover them with a towel and then off to a dark closet. I have an extra carton or sack there for the duds and then back to the bator I go. At lock down I have the little cartons I use for hatching ready to put them all in that before placing them back in the bator.

Good luck... also I only candle on day 10 and day 18. I have better luck that way. I'm on day 7 now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by