Candelling Clarification on Eggs status DAY 5

It was no big deal. I've had chickens for 8 years or so. Anymore it takes a lot to upset me. I look at it as another experience to learn from.

Could very well be I really don't know. I'm not real experienced at candling. When I look at candling pics that others have posted or on other websites and person candling points out things like feathers, leg, etc. I'm like how can you tell that? I'm lucky if I can see the eye. :)

You're actually candling through the wrong end of the egg :) You're candling through the small end. If you candle through the blunt end and the air cell, you will see more and better. The shells that look a little different aren't rotten, they are just porous. I hatch those all the time. The extra porosity means it might be easier for bacteria to get into them so they may not make it, but don't write them off yet.

Give it a few more days and candle through the air cell to get a better look before you toss any as not being fertile.

You're actually candling through the wrong end of the egg :) You're candling through the small end. If you candle through the blunt end and the air cell, you will see more and better. The shells that look a little different aren't rotten, they are just porous. I hatch those all the time. The extra porosity means it might be easier for bacteria to get into them so they may not make it, but don't write them off yet.

Give it a few more days and candle through the air cell to get a better look before you toss any as not being fertile.

Pyxis glad you chimed in. I kind of thought the difference in some of the eggs had something to do with how porous the shell is in certain areas, but didn't know for sure.

Pyxis glad you chimed in. I kind of thought the difference in some of the eggs had something to do with how porous the shell is in certain areas, but didn't know for sure.
This is one of my eggs, it has grown quite a bit in just 2 days.

Attachments

• 20170723_135327.jpg
    20170723_135327.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom