Candle goose egg vs candle duck eggs?

Kimmyh51

Songster
8 Years
Nov 16, 2015
Has anyone candled a lot of goose and duck eggs? Who could tell me the differences they have noticed between the two?

This is the first time I have had a female goose, and so far I have noticed that thengoose eggs seem to have a lot less veins than duck eggs which show up late in the picture. I had one egg which only had a couple of veins and I thought it had started to develop then died, as it looked to me what a duck egg would look like later in the incubation period if it died...however it was moving so clearly alive

Sadly now no movement so I think it might have died, the incubator temp was down about 2-3 degrees for a day or so and since then I can’t see it move. Have upped the temp and hoping it will start moving again but not hopeful

Can anyone with experience incubating and candling both tell me about the main differences they have noticed in goose eggs, as compared to duck eggs

Also what percentage of goose eggs are fertile, in a goose who is just under a year and these are her first eggs. She is Sebastopol x (not sure with what, maybe pilgrim)

And how much harder are goose eggs to incubate than duck eggs? I took this egg out from under her just over a week in, when she kept getting off the nest for most of the night.so it’s been in the incubator for 2-3 weeks. Can’t be too far from hatch, but the fertile egg under thengoose hasn’t hatched yet and it looks like it’s maybe 2-4 days from hatch (at least if it were a duck egg that would be my guess)

But yeah I found the veins way less defined and way less of them, to me this embryo when it was moving about a lot, aside from the moving, looked much like a late incubation duck embryo that has died in the last day or two...like when they start to lo9k sort of fuzzy and less defined and the veins are fuzzy/blurry looking. But it looked like that for all the time it was in the incubator yet was moving about lots so def was alive...is that normal for goose eggs?

Back
Top Bottom