Candled eggs!!!!

ilovechickens

Songster
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
West Central Wisconsin
My hen who hatched one of her six eggs yesterday has not hatched anymore as of yet, so I went out and candled the eggs, 4 of 5 had movement. So should I leave her on the eggs until they hatch? I put her water and food by her so she and the chick can eat and drink. I did see the chick eat today, and I put its beak into the water. Does it hurt to handle the eggs?
barnie.gif
th.gif

The chick doesn't need to eat or drink for at least 24 hours. The mama hen will show them how to do everything. You may have to take the chick away if the others don't hatch soon though. The hen will leave the nest when the chick needs to eat and drink. Or get your hatcher ready to put the other eggs in if the hen does leave.

I would let her sit. Seems like she got one right, might as well give her a chance to hatch the rest. 5/6 isn't bad odds. And no, I don't think you hurt anything handling them.

I had a hen sitting on 7 eggs and all but one hatched on day 20. Between my son and I that last egg got handled quite alot. I was determined it was a dud but on day 21 my son said he heard movement and cheeping so I left it and it hatched. I would just leave them alone and see what happens.

Why would I need to remove the chick, the water and food are right next to her mom. I will keep an eye on her, but she comes out and then goes back under her mom. They are in a separate cage from the other chickens. There is plenty of room in the cage for her and 20 other chicks. I will check again tomorrow and see if there is any others added to the group. I really appreciate all of your input at this site. You are all awesome, thanks.
thumbsup.gif

She should be fine I would just let nature take its course, and try not to fiddle with the eggs to much !! There is no need to remove the chick from mom as long as she is being a good mom !! Are the eggs due to hatch around the same time ?? Mama hens will usally sit on the nest for 2 - 3 days and then get off to raise there babies !! So just keep an eye out to make sure she doesnt leave the eggs, if she does you can try to incubate them the rest of the way yourself !! Good luck.

I said you might need to, to make sure the hen would stay on the nest. You could always give the chick back to her after the hatch is completed.

She might not leave the nest since the chick is going to the water and food by itself. I have always been told not to put the feed and water very close, so if I have a hen setting that has a delayed hatch, I either take the chicks as they hatch, and give them back when the hen is done, or take the eggs that are left once she leaves, hatch them myself, and give the chicks back. It is just safer to do that. If there is no crying chick for her to have to get up for, then she will definitely stay and hatch the rest. Just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom