1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

candled, not sure what I should see

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by the simple life, May 17, 2008.

1. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

Today is day 7 for my eggs.I candled today and some eggs you can see a black blob in it it.I assume that is the chicken but I could be wrong.Its floating around the top of the egg.It moves when the egg is moved.I cannot see through some of the darker eggs very well.On the majority I can see what I am assuming is an air sac about half way up the egg.On a couple I can see a ring going around the egg.Is that what people are calling a blood ring? On some I can see veining. I don't know what is good and what is bad. I plan to do it again in a few days and would like to know what the standard is for theses.

2. Homegroanacres

Homegroanacres Chillin w/the Ice in my Glass

Apr 10, 2008
    Salem, Oregon
  3. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    This is a question from a newbie...is candeling absolutely necessary or just so you can follow along and make sure the eggs are viable?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by