1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Candleing on day seven..what should i see?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thechickman04, Jun 2, 2008.

1. thechickman04

thechickman04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    i candled my eggs today on day seven..and to say the least i had no idea what too look for

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    You should candled down into the big end of the egg in a very dark room.......veining should be seen and the eye or embryo will be quite visible.....

3. thechickman04

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    ok thanyou i candled into the wrong side

4. debbyluvschickens

debbyluvschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    eastern arkansas
    Okay, so the ones with a dark dot in them are good, and the ones that are all light are not good?

5. Tuffoldhen

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:The dark dot is your embryo swimming around with veining...all light eggs are usually clears but....mark th egg at day 7 with a ? mark and candle again at day 12 or 14 to make sure you are not throwing away a good egg...if it starts to smell funky or is seeping or weeping take it out of the bator for it is really a bad egg and needs to be gotten rid of before it explodes...

6. thechickman04

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    i have a bad feeling that there is nothing in there...do u have a pic of your candler

7. debbyluvschickens

debbyluvschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    eastern arkansas
    Thanks so much. I think I got it now. Not meaning to change the topic, but I figured it would save starting a new one, I have duck eggs that have been in the bator 4 weeks today, 2 are really light, and 2 are dark, but I cant make anything out, should i be able to see the duck, or will it just look dark? the shells are white so it is pretty easy to see into them, Im just not sure whether to throw them out.

8. Tuffoldhen

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I don't have a pic of my candler...its just a good small mag flashlight, I think from Lowes or Walmart... works very well for me with brown eggs...

I have never hatched out ducks so no clue on how they should look.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by