Candling BCM Eggs

janchilds

Songster
11 Years
Nov 27, 2011
Virginia
Today iss day 7 in the incubator so I decided to candle my eggs to see what progress was being made. 8 of my 9 Light Sussex clearly have veining. One looks clear but I thought I would give it a few more days since I am fairly new at this. My question is with the BCM... I candled them when I received them to look for cracks and I don't remember it being this hard. The lightest one definitely has some veining.... in the others I just see a dark blob to one side. The eggs are so dark I can't see any veining. That could just be the yoke, right? What do I do? I don't want to leave clear eggs in the incubator for fear they will go bad and explode. How long before the dark blob resembles something more definitive... or do I just have to wait?

Thanks!

Welcome to BYC

I recommend waiting another couple days, then candle.

I recommend candling on day

7; light eggs/tan eggs
Atleast10-12; Dark eggs

If you can, just wait until day 18 to candle the dark eggs, because by then the air sac will
be easily detected, even in dark shelled eggs. You may not be able to see details, but you'll
know it's fertile and can lock it down judging by how the air sac looks. Just be sure to keep
an eye (or nose) open for rotten eggs, and discard them if you find one.

The blob very well could be the yolk, but it could also be a developing chick, you just cannot
see the details.

Best of Wishes

I candle at day 10 and when I put the eggs in the hatcher on day 18. Any at day 18 I'm not sure of I mark. I have been surprised a couple of times as some eggs I thought were duds hatched. They were a little late but they hatched.

I had 3 EE egg in my last hatch that I could see Nothing in from day 1. I never bothered to candle them at all. They all hatched. You will smell a bad egg before it will explode.

Thanks guys! Who knew three weeks could take SO LONG...
jumpy.gif

I had surprises with my EOs too. Leave em in 'til day 24. Explosions are unlikely, IMO. Even the eggs that had quit around day 7 - 10 still didn't stink in day 24 when I opened them...

I've given up candling! I dropped one of my eggs today when I tried to candle it and sure enough it was developing. I cried for an hour!
hit.gif

Stink or not... I am just sitting tight and waiting!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Quote:
What am I supposed to look for in the air sac? I try to look and dont know what I am looking for? Dont all Eggs have that Air sac at the top?

Back
Top Bottom