1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Candling Dark Eggs~

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wongson, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Wongson

Wongson Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2009
    Minneapolis Metro
    Any advice would be wonderful.

I am incubating my 1st batch of barred rock eggs. I candled them in my homemade candlier and i can see the air sack and a mass in the eggs. I cannot see any veins or anything floating or moving as i have read on so many other blogs, websites and books.....I am worried because I have read so much about the dreaded exploding eggs! I guess I am looking for some advice on what to expect and for someone to tell me what they experienced with dark colored eggs....

Thanks![​IMG]

2. Debi214

Debi214 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Richmond, VA
    [​IMG] and I would like to know the best way to candle really dark eggs if someone can help. I have 18 green eggs in the bator and they are all solid dark inside - no air space, no veins......not due to hatch until May 11th!!!!

3. babylady4

babylady4 Mother Goose

Mar 30, 2009
    Central WI
    I have some green eggs and some darker brown eggs hatching right now. I found that if I used one of the super-bright mag lights I could see really well into the eggs.

I hope this helps!

[​IMG]

4. Chic Chick

Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    East Central Alberta
    I made a simple candler using a small lamp with 100 w bulb and a cardboard box big enough for the lamp to fit inside when it's closed up. Cut a slit in the side at the bottom corner for the cord to come out and cut a small circle about the size of a quarter higher up on the side of the box to candle. I was amazed how much better it is then a mag light for the blue or brown eggs.

5. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:Beware of using that 100w bulb in a small enclosed cardboard box...it definitely could be a fire hazard if left unattended and turned on.

Ed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by