Candling Dark Eggs~

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wongson, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Wongson

Wongson Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2009
    Minneapolis Metro
    Any advice would be wonderful.

I am incubating my 1st batch of barred rock eggs. I candled them in my homemade candlier and i can see the air sack and a mass in the eggs. I cannot see any veins or anything floating or moving as i have read on so many other blogs, websites and books.....I am worried because I have read so much about the dreaded exploding eggs! I guess I am looking for some advice on what to expect and for someone to tell me what they experienced with dark colored eggs....

2. Debi214

Debi214 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Richmond, VA
    [​IMG] and I would like to know the best way to candle really dark eggs if someone can help. I have 18 green eggs in the bator and they are all solid dark inside - no air space, no veins......not due to hatch until May 11th!!!!
  3. babylady4

babylady4 Mother Goose

Mar 30, 2009
    Central WI
    I have some green eggs and some darker brown eggs hatching right now. I found that if I used one of the super-bright mag lights I could see really well into the eggs.

I hope this helps!

4. Chic Chick

Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    East Central Alberta
    I made a simple candler using a small lamp with 100 w bulb and a cardboard box big enough for the lamp to fit inside when it's closed up. Cut a slit in the side at the bottom corner for the cord to come out and cut a small circle about the size of a quarter higher up on the side of the box to candle. I was amazed how much better it is then a mag light for the blue or brown eggs.
  5. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Quote:Beware of using that 100w bulb in a small enclosed cardboard definitely could be a fire hazard if left unattended and turned on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by