Candling disappointment day 4

The good in my whole experience is that we are doing this whole hatching thing as a homeschool project. My kindergartener and I poked around in the remains and looked at the embryo under a microscope. It was really cool to see the blood vessels and the eye.

The good in my whole experience is that we are doing this whole hatching thing as a homeschool project. My kindergartener and I poked around in the remains and looked at the embryo under a microscope. It was really cool to see the blood vessels and the eye.

That's making lemonade out of lemons.
wink.png

this is my very first experience hatching eggs..i made my own bator and am havin a bit of trouble holding the temp at the EXACT spot but today is day #4 and me and my kids candled and THIS MOM WAS THRILLED to see a mass with veins in 3 out of 4 eggs!!!!! the eggs came from our own coop (2 roosters and 4 hens-austrolorps) SOOO the 4th egg had a bubble at the top and a bubble at the bottom but a gray/black mass in the middle...what does this mean???? do not plan to candle for another couple of days..probably day 8-10...let me know what advice and what you think!!

About slightly cracked eggs, if you're feeling a bit too lazy to reach out for the wax, melt it, etc, etc, the easiest option to patch up that egg is to apply nail varnish on the crack and just hold it for a few minutes to dry before putting it back in the incubator. In case you're wondering if it works, I hatched a Blue Orpington FEMALE out of a cracked egg patched up with nail varnish! I know some people toss cracked eggs out of the incubator and say they never hatch, but they can. Try it:)

Back
Top Bottom