Candling Eggs-What am I looking at?

CBee

Songster
11 Years
May 11, 2008
Asheville, NC
Hey all!
frow.gif
This is my first time incubating our eggs, and I have no idea what to look for when I'm candling. These eggs are 7 days old, and I have 8, with only about 3 that I think are growing. I took pics of the three that I think might be growing, and then one that I'm not sure of.

5 of the eggs look like this:
P1010256.jpg

Is there anything happenning here, or should I throw it out? (Sorry if the pic is horrible quality. It's really just an egg with a dark blob toward the fat end.)

And then 3 have little strings that I think might be the beginning of veins:
P1010257.jpg

(I traced a little over the 'vein,' it was hard to see in the pic.)
P1010258.jpg

P1010259.jpg

What should I see at day 7?

And thanks!
smile.png

Those are fertile eggs!!!!!

Candle em in a few more days [ day 10] them just open the bator to add water and turn.

Best of luck,

Fresh Eggs

I had some in the incubator for 24 days, none of them exploded. I cracked them open and some were little chicks that died at various stages and some were with the blood ring.

Hi all, I'm new to birds and eggs. I got two Mallard ducks in March, one male, one female. I've seen them "do it" so I thought that when my female started to lay (about 1 month ago), at least some would be fertile. She has laid 23 eggs in the last 3 weeks, a lot for her first clutch from what I've read. I went outside in the dark, got a flashlight, and put it up to each of them. Some of them I can clearly see something inside, but didn't see veins on any of them. I'm wondering if I need a brighter light? Or since this is the first time I'm candling, maybe I dont know what I'm looking at. Except for veins I can't really distinguish much from the pictures posted. I have the female separated from the male so if any hatch he won't kill them.

Back
Top Bottom