Candling Eggs

zowieyellowflame

Songster
10 Years
Jun 11, 2009
Nova Scotia
Hello,
I am getting used to candling and my hen Beatrice has been on 22 + eggs because others keep laying with her. 3 have hatched, one has pipped and we have removed the ones that have little or no development. I plan to leave the others for a few more days, but how do i interpret the following.....
dark material that moves as I move the egg... occupies about half of the egg. (will an embryo slosh around or will it remain in one position?)
Solid and dark with an 18 day air space.... is it alive or could it be dead? Any way to know? I can't see any movement.
completely solid dark, no air space detected, no peeping.

Thanks for any help!
Tanya

I had the same thing happen to me today, i candle last night and my are just 11 days in and i have alot that has a dark solid look to them with air cell on bottom. I open one this morning thinking that the egg was dead but i was wrong their was a little chick in their growing. Now i feel like a really bad mom. so dont give up on them yet.

does it have veins. if it moves as you turn it. tilt it back and forth if it looks like the air sack has broke loose it is no good. This is for eggs from your farm not shipped eggs. shipped eggs air sacks are funny anyway.

I couldnt see any veins in the egg so i didnt know that it had a baby chick inside. I'm going to keep my hands off the eggs until hatch day L.O.L that is on july 1, i hope the rest of the eggs are good because most of them look just the same as the one i opened. Yes they were shipped eggs from a fellow byc.

also dark brown eggs are hard to see veins in. if you look at them for about 30 seconds you can see movement. just look at the line between the light and darkness. hope you have a good hatch.
fl.gif

I have problems seeing veins unless it is a very very light shelled egg. If you are seeing a dark mass when you candle it is a chick. If the dark mass quits growing then the chick has probably died at some point.

Back
Top Bottom