Candling eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 7K-Ranch, Oct 16, 2014.

1. 7K-Ranch

7K-Ranch Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2014
    Ok all I have 50 eggs going right now in our dickey incubator they were put in last Saturday morning . My question is should I pull the whole tray out candle all the eggs then put the tray back in the incubator? How quick should I try and get each egg candled?

2. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Hi there.

I am by no means an expert, but I find that if you are well prepared before hand it really doesn't take long to candle the eggs. I did it two nights ago in our coop at dusk while my hubby nursed my broody hen, and I got 9 candled in under 3 minutes!

Lay out a big fluffy towel on your bench, doubled over, to protect the eggs (just in case you drop one). Don't laugh - it happens!

Have your torch, with fresh batteries, on stand-by.

Place a basket with a towel in it to the side, so you can pop any rejects safely in there.

Make sure you have a pencil handy so you can mark any questionable eggs to be re-checked at a later date.

Only then should you remove your tray from the incubator. Start to work your way along each row, candling each egg carefully. It really should only take a few second per egg - once I spot veins and a black blob I'm happy.

Good luck!

Krista

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  3. DuckieLover2014

DuckieLover2014 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2014
    Missouri
    Very well explained

4. DuckieLover2014

DuckieLover2014 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2014
    Missouri
    Hi honey
    I was looking for our thred on Peepers.. I can't seem to find it. How is Peepers doing? I have been thinking about him lately.
    Hope all is well!

~L.J

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by