1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Candling!! Help!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tripp16, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Good morning everyone!!! Today is my third day of incubation on my silkie eggs. I know some people wait a week but someone told me to candle on the 3rd day. Is this correct?? Also if it is what am I looking for make sure their alive? [​IMG]

I know they should have some veins by now but if anyone with more experience help me out that woule be tremendous! [​IMG]

2. KIDDSBANTAMS

KIDDSBANTAMS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    Lexington
    Most people candle on day 7 or 10. I think 3 days is too early.

3. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:Ok Ill wait until then I guess.

Thanks! [​IMG]

4. mrs b. bates farm

mrs b. bates farm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2011
    my first hatch i couldnt see anything when i candled,it drove me crazy but glad it still hatched

5. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    I candled yesterday and didnt see a thing. Your not alone. [​IMG]

6. FRANCOIS

FRANCOIS Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2011
    Trompsburg South Africa
    Hey there I also candle on 3 days but remember to start counting the days of from day 0-21 so actually you candle at day 4!Usually for darker eggs its not that clear but white eggs you should see some veins almost looking like a spider!

7. bikerchic

bikerchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Virginia
    At day 5 you can see the veins good. 3 is a little early.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree. I wait until day 10 then I can actually see the embryo. I candle again on day 18 when I put the eggs into lock down to see if I missed any or if there are any quitters.

9. Abirdbrain

Abirdbrain Chillin' With My Peeps

By day ten or twelve, you can clearly see the winners and the duds. Early development in browns is harder to see, so dont pull anything early. I being over eager you can destroy a good grower. Patence is hard to master.

10. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Scarlett, I know how excited you are, but you really should stop touching them!
    The more you open the bator, the more the temp and humidity will drop, and the more it will need to be compensated for.
    Also, every time you pick up the egg, you risk contaminating it with whatever germs, or anything else that is on your fingers.
    Be patient, and you will be rewarded. I know it's hard, just trying to let you learn from everyone elses mistakes.
    Stop touching!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by