Candling - how often is too often?

Giddyup

Songster
11 Years
Oct 22, 2008
Vancouver Island, BC
I see people posting photographs of daily candlings - so assuming it's ok to check once a day?

From a mamma duck - she doesn't mind or complain. I have been checking at night by flashlight. After seeing a huge amount of movement/swishing in one I'm addicted - it's so fascinating!! I'd like to check that they are all fertile but trust she will do her thing and I just steal the ones on the edge underneath her and put them back.

we're at 2 weeks now. I couldn't believe all the whooshing??? Heartbeat? The others weren't near as "busy" but vein-y and could see the embryo.

**I roll them, ever so slowly, and wait if I don't see the embryo - please tell me that hasn't hurt them!!
fl.gif

You will want to be careful. If you bother her too much, she could abandon her nest. I usually only candled on day 7, 14 and 21 and only when she gets off the nest to go for a swim.

I was addicted to candling when I hatched my last batch of silkies. I candled every day when i got home from work to see if i could tell a difference from the day before. I made my husband, daughter and son check them out too. My daughter thought it was "icky" my dh and ds thought it was cool! Every fertile egg i set, hatched, so i think you are okay if you are doing it quickly. Good luck with the new addiction.
tongue.png

I just realized that you are moving a mom to do this, I had an incubator. From what i've heard/read you do need to be careful about this, she may get irritated and leave the nest for good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I'm not moving her, just wanted to be clear it's not from an incubator.

She's very tame and I quietly steal an egg without moving her. If she ever made a sign of nervousness I would stop for sure. Didn't think of trying in the am when she's off, will try that in a few days and then leave it be.

Part of it is learning for me - what is normal, how it looks etc.

The Mink Hollow website was shown to me before and has helped.

Back
Top Bottom