Candling - how often is too often?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Giddyup, May 16, 2009.

1. Giddyup

Giddyup Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Vancouver Island, BC
    I see people posting photographs of daily candlings - so assuming it's ok to check once a day?

From a mamma duck - she doesn't mind or complain. I have been checking at night by flashlight. After seeing a huge amount of movement/swishing in one I'm addicted - it's so fascinating!! I'd like to check that they are all fertile but trust she will do her thing and I just steal the ones on the edge underneath her and put them back.

we're at 2 weeks now. I couldn't believe all the whooshing??? Heartbeat? The others weren't near as "busy" but vein-y and could see the embryo.

**I roll them, ever so slowly, and wait if I don't see the embryo - please tell me that hasn't hurt them!![​IMG]
  2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    You will want to be careful. If you bother her too much, she could abandon her nest. I usually only candled on day 7, 14 and 21 and only when she gets off the nest to go for a swim.
  3. JenEric Farms

JenEric Farms GOOGLE GENIUS

Oct 31, 2007
    I was addicted to candling when I hatched my last batch of silkies. I candled every day when i got home from work to see if i could tell a difference from the day before. I made my husband, daughter and son check them out too. My daughter thought it was "icky" my dh and ds thought it was cool! Every fertile egg i set, hatched, so i think you are okay if you are doing it quickly. Good luck with the new addiction.[​IMG]

I just realized that you are moving a mom to do this, I had an incubator. From what i've heard/read you do need to be careful about this, she may get irritated and leave the nest for good.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2009
  4. Giddyup

Giddyup Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Vancouver Island, BC
    Thanks, I'm not moving her, just wanted to be clear it's not from an incubator.

She's very tame and I quietly steal an egg without moving her. If she ever made a sign of nervousness I would stop for sure. Didn't think of trying in the am when she's off, will try that in a few days and then leave it be.

Part of it is learning for me - what is normal, how it looks etc.

The Mink Hollow website was shown to me before and has helped.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by