Candling issues day 14.

Ah. I hope the other chick comes out OK! I live in Scotland so the natural humidity is always fairly high. It really is a struggle to keep things at ideal conditions. If this hatch fails. Maybe after some time I can try get a more well known brinsea incubator and try again. There's a old tale which some farmers swear by that it's accurate. But the tale is that more pointed eggs will be roosters and more rounded will be hens. Have you got any experience of this? Curious to hear people's. If it's at all accurate. Then I may only have 1 hen 🤣
I think these tales are just tales. That said, I just had a small hatch of Bielefelders with a very tragic end... :hmm of the 6 that made it to lockdown, 3 were malpositioned inside the egg and couldn't pip properly. I didn't assist in time and they all died, sadly. The 3 that were positioned normally and hatched safely were all males, and I suspect the others were females. I'm curious now whether females are more prone to getting turned around in the egg, especially after shipping and I suppose it's possible that egg shape might have something to do with that!

Just a theory. 🤷‍♀️

My eggs look dark like that when I pull it from under the broody for a peak, except my air sacks are 1/4 of the egg.

I slide it back under her and only have had one egg not hatch.
Ah a broody would be very ideal. Unfort we have no hens. This is total first time as having them as "pets" although I do have some experience with hens as my uncle had a farm when I was a child. But that was a very long time ago lol so I'm relearning everything 🤣 if 2 hatches ill be very happy. Then in future I'll add more. Only thing about incubating I dislike is the chances for roosters. Wouldn't matter if I lived in the country side. But unfortunately I'm stuck in middle of a residential area 😨 still debating on what I will do if a rooster does come along. Which I'm sure it will

I think these tales are just tales. That said, I just had a small hatch of Bielefelders with a very tragic end... :hmm of the 6 that made it to lockdown, 3 were malpositioned inside the egg and couldn't pip properly. I didn't assist in time and they all died, sadly. The 3 that were positioned normally and hatched safely were all males, and I suspect the others were females. I'm curious now whether females are more prone to getting turned around in the egg, especially after shipping and I suppose it's possible that egg shape might have something to do with that!

Just a theory. 🤷‍♀️
Ah it's a shame when you lose some during the process. I'm a very light hearted person so I hate death in any creature or circumstances (won't even kill spiders lol) the 4 in the incubator where shipped as pack of 6. 1 turned out a yolker and the other was the only easily see through shell that died on day 10 unfortunately. We did do a "eggtopsy" and was so strange seeing it. Just 2 large black eyes floating in the yolk. Although there was clear visible blood rings I still think about it tonight. Like what if I seen it wrong and it was still live? Lol I'm too soft that way. I want everything to live but that's just the process of the whole thing.

I usually let bad eggs go way too long — I hate to throw anything out until 2 weeks in! But I can tell you from experience that even the "iffy" eggs hardly ever turn around... if I think something looks even slightly off, 9 times out of 10 that egg won't make it to lockdown or show any sign of pipping. I've never had a blood ring turn out to be something else.

I usually let bad eggs go way too long — I hate to throw anything out until 2 weeks in! But I can tell you from experience that even the "iffy" eggs hardly ever turn around... if I think something looks even slightly off, 9 times out of 10 that egg won't make it to lockdown or show any sign of pipping. I've never had a blood ring turn out to be something else.
Ahh. So yeah I may only make it out with 1 maybe even 0. If you think eggs are iffy what should be the max time would you say that I can leave them in the incubator before they could possibly become explosion risk? Just to possibly give them the best chance possible, I dunno if yolkers are a exosion risk but I left that one in for 10 days before removed. Or 11 (losing track a little) lol. Old age creeping in 😁

Cut a dime sized hole in a piece of cardboard and use that as the shield between the egg and the flashlight. It won't allow nearly as much bleed through as your hand, and details inside the egg will be much easier to pick out.

Attachments

• IMG_20211110_233343992.jpg
    IMG_20211110_233343992.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20211110_233317887.jpg
    IMG_20211110_233317887.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 6
Cut a dime sized hole in a piece of cardboard and use that as the shield between the egg and the flashlight. It won't allow nearly as much bleed through as your hand, and details inside the egg will be much easier to pick out.
Thank you. Will give that a shot!!

little update. the air sac on the one that seemed too small. It had grown after letting incubator sit with no water with humidity down to 30-31% its no longer small part at the bottom of the egg. seems to be expanding up a bit now! fingers crossed!! :)

Genius. I have to try this. My NR360 candeling light leaks so much light I get frustrated with trying to see past it. The glare from under the egg is awful.

Attachments

• 20211111_195935.jpg
    20211111_195935.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 6
Genius. I have to try this. My NR360 candeling light leaks so much light I get frustrated with trying to see past it. The glare from under the egg is awful.
The difference is even more pronounced in person.

Attachments

• IMG_20211112_001050364~2.jpg
    IMG_20211112_001050364~2.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20211112_001121472.jpg
    IMG_20211112_001121472.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom