Candling lots of eggs. HOW?

LoneCowboy

Songster
12 Years
Aug 26, 2007
Longmont, CO
Ok, I have lots of eggs in the bator. How am I supposed to candle all of these without upsetting temps and humidity too much? Do you take a row out at a time or what? What do you think the best way is?

How many is a lot? I use a high powered hand held flashlight and just put them over the top of each egg and quickly go though a flat (30 eggs) in about 5 min and remove the bad ones. Plus, normally candle on day 6, 14, and then stop till they all hatch.

brown%20two%20Small.jpg

I use a Surefire also. Its so fast to candle the eggs. Best part you dont have to take them out of the holders.
big_smile.png
I once had to candle 90 eggs and I really didnt want to chill them.

I don't worry to much the hen gets up off the eggs everyday for at least 15 minutes at a time. I try not to rush to much I don't want to drop a egg which I have done before.

I've also heard that you could just candle a FEW at a time.. like 10 out of 100. I'm pretty sure the big hatcheries don't candle 1000s of eggs at a time, Although I have a silly mental imagine of people in labcoats with flashlights in their hands, bent over little eggs looking for black dots..

Meghan

I have 34 in the bator. To me that's a lot!!

Where do I get a surefire flashlight? I'm using a little mag, and it doesn't really get the job done.

I usually don't do them all at once either. I don't worry about them cooling down some because as it was said the hen gets off them to eat and drink and they're gonna cool down some then too. I also have dropped a developing egg one time because I was trying to rush.
sad.png

Hey LC, I bought my Surefire at Lowes, there is a model $60+ and another model $80+. Didn't have my reading glasses w/me at the time
old.gif
gig.gif
so the clerk read the info for me & said the strength of both models was the same, just the outer case was different.
idunno.gif
So I went with the less $$ model. It's a good flashlight all the way around and small enough I carry it around in my pocket. Good luck on the candling!!

You can get a GQF Cool light candler for 10 bucks and candle right in the egg turner. It is electric. It works great and they sell the light bulbs at Home Depot if they blow.

Back
Top Bottom