candling on day 5 !!!! Can anyone help ?? PLEASE !!!! =)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by swtangel321, Jul 18, 2008.

1. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    So today was day 5 for most of my eggs in the bator a few eggs are a day or 2 behind the others (I just couldn't stop putting them in) As I was candling them I saw alot of eggs that looked like they had spots all over them, but I did see veins in all of them and a little black blob (2 soon to see to much movement) I read some where once that if you have eggs that have pores like that they aren't good !!! Is that true or does anyone else see that when candling there eggs ??? I don't remember seeing it with my last hatch but then again I didn't candle till day 14 or so with the other.
    Should I leave them in the bator ?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Just leave the porus eggs in the incubator. They will probably be fine. I have hatched porus eggs without any problems. It sounds like what you are seeing is good.

What breed are they?

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    That's wonderful that they are all developing! Don't stress to much about the eggs that are porous. They can still hatch, their hatch rate just isn't as good because the pores make it easier for bacteria to grow inside of them. I always end up with eggs that are porous. Some hatch, some don't. Good luck! [​IMG]

4. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    My 3 BO and BR eggs that I just hatched out were pretty pourus, and they did great. I just gathered them right after they were layed and made sure that I only got the ones that weren't dirty and they did wonderfully. Got the babies in the brooder to prove it!

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Thanks everyone!!! Does anyone know what causes pourus eggs ???

6. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Several of my BLRWs that I have in the bator right now are porous. I will let you know in about 5 days if they hatch. [​IMG] I think it's caused by not enough calcium?

7. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    I have had two very porous eggs and neither one developed, but several people have had babies hatch from porous eggs. It never hurts to try!

Just keep an eye on it and make sure you don't have bacteria developing. You defnately don't want any exploding eggs.

Mine didn't get bacteria at all. They just never developed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by