Candling on day 7

SailingAgape

Songster
May 25, 2020
PNW (Outside of the CHAZ)
I candled my eggs tonight and made a couple quick updates to the incubator. Unfortunately, about half the eggs didn't look too promising. Here are some examples.
IMG_20200606_201421.jpg

This one looks perfect if I were trying to grow mood lighting. These are all shipped eggs so unfortunately, this is what I get to expect from a lot of them.

Sadly about 15/29 look this not promising.

IMG_20200606_201856.jpg

Would ya look at the vascular system on that guy!

IMG_20200606_203810.jpg

I noticed a few that had dark middles with a clear pointy end and a defined air sac. My guess is either a ring if death? Or a slow bloomer.

IMG_20200606_203129.jpg

I'm up in the air on this one.

IMG_20200606_202117.jpg

This egg is empty. Totally and completely empty. Initial weight was 10g but it was 4g today.

IMG_20200606_202913.jpg

This one somehow broke in the incubator and was removed.

It would be easier to see if you candled through the air cell (fat end). Don’t turn them upside down though. Hold them fat end up and shine the light down from the top. Shipped eggs have gone through a lot of trauma and their air cells are fragile. Turning them upside down can make it even worse. I hope the rest make it to hatch! Good luck!

It would be easier to see if you candled through the air cell (fat end). Don’t turn them upside down though. Hold them fat end up and shine the light down from the top. Shipped eggs have gone through a lot of trauma and their air cells are fragile. Turning them upside down can make it even worse. I hope the rest make it to hatch! Good luck!
I noticed pre incubation that a lot of the air sacs were loose but by day 7, I't appeared they were pretty well attached it looked like, including saddled etc. I think the picture with the veins may be upside down.

You did give me a pretty good idea though, I'll hang my flashlight when I do candling at the start of lockdown next week and I'll post more pictures then.

Thank you for the advice!

I noticed pre incubation that a lot of the air sacs were loose but by day 7, I't appeared they were pretty well attached it looked like, including saddled etc. I think the picture with the veins may be upside down.

You did give me a pretty good idea though, I'll hang my flashlight when I do candling at the start of lockdown next week and I'll post more pictures then.

Thank you for the advice!
Looking stable is no guarantee they’re okay, even if they make it to lockdown... The damage has been done. I just hatched a bunch of shipped eggs recently and lost a lot in lockdown. The wobbliest air cells that I thought had stabilized and pulled through, ended up malpositioned and unable to pip :( So, the less turning and disturbing, the better.

The mood lighting comment made me laugh. I was thinking that. 😁
Locally, shipped eggs are having a hard time at the moment. Everything is taking longer to arrive and higher mail volumes probably means more bashing. In my head I'm writing off 50% before they even arrive. I'm stopping ordering for a while.
The next lot I do get after resting for 24hrs. I'm not going to turn them for the first 3 days of incubation. . I've read that this is the most vulnerable time so the less they're disturbed the better. We'll see.
Looking forward to the next pics. Hopefully no mood lighting.

The mood lighting comment made me laugh. I was thinking that. 😁
Locally, shipped eggs are having a hard time at the moment. Everything is taking longer to arrive and higher mail volumes probably means more bashing. In my head I'm writing off 50% before they even arrive. I'm stopping ordering for a while.
The next lot I do get after resting for 24hrs. I'm not going to turn them for the first 3 days of incubation. . I've read that this is the most vulnerable time so the less they're disturbed the better. We'll see.
Looking forward to the next pics. Hopefully no mood lighting.
Yeah, I managed to get 2 separate ebay shipments on the same day (Celadon and Jumbo Brown) and I don't think I'll be trying that anymore. One of the boxes looked like it had been shipped by a soccer team (You'd probably call them footballers).

I left most the questionables in the incubator for the next week. if nothing else, I figured they could act as heat syncs.

Earlier on during the 'Rona, it seemed I had a lot more development percentage out of shipped eggs but I countered that with bag incubator practices. I'm hoping to find more local folks with quail over the next year and start a local egg sharing co-op for hatching at some point over the next year.

Everything said.

I just want to comment to the first 3 days without turning.
I read this too, especially if you use an incubator without fan (I think it is called in english "still air incubator).
It is said, that this no-turning phase is not nessesary for motor incubators (with fan).

But for these kicked parcels, it can't be bad to do the no-turning phase also with a motor incubator.

And yes, never call it soccer ... it is Football/Fußball 😉

Yes. I read that too, but I've also cracked open fertilised 3 day incubated eggs (damaged shell) and there really isn't a lot there. So I can't see it doing any harm. Hard to say if it's of benefit unless you split the hatch and provide exactly the same incubation conditions.

Side note: English Premier league starts again in 2 weeks. 🤙 ⚽
It is an American site so we'll let them off with soccer! 🤣
So long as we can say American football.

p.s USA ladies football team kicks ass.

Last edited:
[....]...
Side note: English Premier league starts again in 2 weeks. 🤙 ⚽
It is an American site so we'll let them off with soccer! 🤣
So long as we can say American football.

p.s USA ladies football team kicks ass.

True true ... The world needs more tolerance, even in wording!

And YES ... very cool the restart, even without spectators... The Bundesliga is already playing since 3 weeks :wee

But sorry, we get off topic 🙈

Back
Top Bottom