candling quail eggs and incubation?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stephanie1992, Dec 21, 2011.

1. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

when u candle them can u see in them? how do u candle them? just wondering because i plan on hatching some. how do u incubate them? temp? humidity? they are Pharoah quail eggs

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Nope. Candling quail eggs is a waste of time and effort. Just put them in lockdown 3 days before hatch date. If you still have unhatched eggs 2-3 days after the original hatch date, do a float test. Fill a bowl half full of 99 degree F water and place the eggs into the water. Let the water become still and watch for any wiggling of individual eggs. Wiggling indicates a live embryo and should be put back in the bator. If the egg floats especially high, it's bad. The egg should float with just a millimeter or 2 above water, those should be put back in the bator as well but only if they don't smell. After about 4 days past hatch date and there are no wigglers, I eggtopsy the leftovers. Quail egg hatch rates higher than 50% are considered quite successful.

There's a ton more information on quail in the quail section.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=48

3. sixshooter60

sixshooter60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Stuart Oklahoma
    You can candle quail eggs as i do it . i hatch lots of quail and dont have any problem . what i do is wait till day 14 when they go in lockdown i use a led flashlight i made a small end out of soft rubber tubing that just fits over the end of the egg. i candle in the turner by touching the tubing to the end of the egg . all im looking for is clear eggs. the clear eggs will show as being almost green glow.. you need a bright light and the more lumen the better. of course the more lumen it puts out the more expensive it is. you can get a nice little led light at wal mart for about 15 bucks . its made by coleman..hope this helps

4. stephanie1992

will the led flashlight i use on my chicken eggs work? and can they be put in with chicken eggs?

5. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 7 cooking with some chicken eggs, temp is at 99 F and humidity is around 40%, you should up the humidity at lockdown to about 60%. I use a mini Maglight to candle the quail eggs, they're at about 8 days now and I can see the embryos moving and well defined veins. The heavily marked eggs are harder.
    I wouldn't write off an egg that glows greenish, with cots the inner part of the shell can be blue giving the egg a tint. If it's 8-10 days into incubation and it's green with no visible sign of development then it's a dud.
    Check out the quail forum.

6. stephanie1992

ok thank u. my eggs from my quail are blue with brown dots. ill go check out the quail thread

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by