Candling question - Day 10

Yard full o' rocks

Songster
10 Years
Mar 24, 2009
Cartersville, Georgia
I have apporox 35 Buff Orp eggs in the 'bator. This will be my 3rd hatch (hopefully). We candled them last nite (day 10) and I have a couple questions. In several, there appeared to be a dark "shadow" on the large end of the egg, but no real definitive shape or movement. In approx a dozen of them, we saw what we have seen on the 2 previous hatches...a very defined dark "shape", a dark spot (probably the egg) and some movement. Can there be that much developmental difference between the eggs? Are the ones with a dark shadow "bad"? Should I just wait a few more days and candle again? Need some advise as I have never seen this much difference between eggs before. THANKS

I can never see veining after about day 6. Seems like I see veins, then about day 10, all I see is a black blob.

I'd leave them alone; unless you see a definite blood ring or NO dark blob, they may still be okay. You won't ALWAYS see movement either.

Good luck on your hatch!

Quote:
Thank you. On my first 2 hatches, I could see a dark "spot" and often it moved. This time there were several with just had a really dark shadow that kind of floated in the big end of the egg. I am using a standard 60 watt buld over a cardboard cut-out so the light is really not intense enought to see a lot of detail. I DID NOT see any blood rings as I did find 2 of those in my last hatch. Thanks again.....
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom