Candling Question

shanshan51

Songster
8 Years
Sep 7, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Ok I have set 4 eggs for my first try before my more expensive mail order hatching eggs arrive. I have a total of 3 roos and 9 hens (trying to rehome one roo). The first two eggs were set on Saturday late afternoon making them a little over 3 days old. The Next two were set the yesterday so now they are a day old.

For the first two eggs: Both appear to have a "yolk" thing floating in the middle. One is about twice as large as the other. This yolk or maybe peep seems to "float" when I rotate the egg on the candling device. I do not see the spiderweb of veins yet because I am waiting on a more professional egg candler to come in the mail. I am using a flash light with 5 small LED bulbs and putting the egg in my hand and going into a dark room and cuping my hand so no light escapes. Since one "yolk" appears to be growing larger does that mean I have a fertile egg?

I have put what mine kinda look like in the image links below. Neither is showing veins but I think its my lighting.

What I consider to be more developed (on mine I can not see the air pocket yet): http://www.nifty-stuff.com/images/chickens/egg-day-2.jpg

Smaller
of two looks like this : http://www.nifty-stuff.com/images/chickens/egg3.jpg

Quote:
Welcome to BYC! I'm not a candling expert but I to used a bright flash light to candle. On day 3 1/2, I could see the veins. The thickness and color of the shell definitely changes the way things look. Some people don't candle for a week to see more clearly. Have great fun with your hatch!
big_smile.png

Quote:
The first week of a chicks developement is critical. The eggs should not be handled or desturbed in any way until day seven when they should be candled for the first time. At that time, developement can be easily observed and any infertile eggs should be eliminated. Candling again at day 14 is next and any undeveloped eggs are eliminated. Frequent candling and/or opening the incubator will make it hard to regulate temps and humidity, resulting in a poor hatch.......Pop

Last edited:
Yes those were stock pics. I couldn't candle and take pic as I am clumsy and did not want to break anything......I will try again soon even though my excitement is killing me. I once decided to breed Betta fighting fish and bred so many i could not find them homes fast enough. Hopefully I will have similar success with the chicks!

Quote:
The first week of a chicks developement is critical. The eggs should not be handled or desturbed in any way until day seven when they should be candled for the first time. At that time, developement can be easily observed and any infertile eggs should be eliminated. Candling again at day 14 is next and any undeveloped eggs are eliminated. Frequent candling and/or opening the incubator will make it hard to regulate temps and humidity, resulting in a poor hatch.......Pop

That's probably good advice in general, but isn't necessarily true. There are lots of candle photos of 3 and 4 day eggs with successes following. I suggest that if you move the eggs at least as gently as the broody and keep them as warm, you are probably okay. Also, while the first part is critical, so is the rest. Eggs that don't make it can be lost at any stage of incubation.

Back
Top Bottom