Candling Question

shangri-lafarms

Songster
11 Years
Apr 24, 2008
NY-Upstate Adirondacks
Hello all, I am on my first ever hatch....It has been 7 days or 6 if you count the next day as day one...I set my eggs on the 11th I tried candling but I am not sure what I am seeing all are brown eggs or green and are hard to see through there are a few that look veiny but I don't want to throw away good ones, a few seem like they could have a ring, or could that be a vein? anyone have any tips for a candling newbie?? Any and all advice appreciated as always

Yeah for the ones that look "veiny"!!
yippiechickie.gif
Those eggs are fertile and growing a baby. It's sometimes very difficult to candle blue or dark brown eggs. I guess I should say "almost impossible"!! Make sure the room is pitch black. Use a very high powered flashlight, like the surefire tactical flashlight. Hold your thumb and forefinger in a circle around the end of the flashlight and candle from the top of the egg. This will mean that your fingers will be touching the egg and creating a seal between the flashlight and the egg. This keeps light from leaking out and directs the beam through the egg. Don't turn the egg end on end as it could disrupt the veins.

It takes practice, for sure.

If you have any doubts, then DON'T throw the egg out. As long as it isn't stinky or weeping, keep it in the bator and keep candling it. Eventually you should be able to see darkness if nothing else which is usually the chick growing.

ETA: Yes, that ring can be a vein. That's why you don't toss it!!
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are not sure, don't toss it. When I first started, I would keep them until day 14 if they didn't smell. I have candled brown eggs easily IF my flashlight was bright enough. I picked up a mini mag that works great. I replace the batteries as soon as the light dims
big_smile.png
. Good luck!
Krista

Back
Top Bottom