Candling question

texaschickmama

Songster
12 Years
Sep 19, 2007
Poolville, TX
This is day 10 on most of the eggs that my broodies are sitting on. I just went out and candled for the first time ever, OMG some ARE developing. I could see a huge mass in some of the eggs. Should I throw the ones that are not developing away or will that disturb the broody? Does it hurt the eggs to take them from under mama hen and candle? Do you turn while candling? Any don'ts to candling?

Here are some great candling pictures.....check it out!
wink.png

http://shilala.homestead.com/candling.html

http://www.minkhollow.ca/HatchingProgram/Candling/index.html

http://www.minkhollow.ca/HatchingProgram/Candling/Fresh/index.html

Quote:
JMajors, in the homestead site, it shows an embryo at 14 days, with an empty space, and the air sac, and embryo. My question for you is :should the 'empty' space be near the air sac, or does it respond to the way they are stored? I have my eggs in a turner, and they are about 15 days, the empty space is on the bottom, farthest away from the air sac. Is that normal? I have hatched 2 batches before, but since have gotten a better light, so idk if this is the way they looked then. Thanks!

Shellyd,
not sure what you mean by the empty space then the air sac, and embryo. are you talking about the clearer area or what. a picture would be good if you can provide one. If I am catching the jist, I think you are talking about the air sack being at the large end and the embryo floating around in the rest of the area, a clearer part in other parts of the egg area. That is ok. I have seen that clearer part floating everywhere.

Basically, what I base my instincts on are, when candling, if the little guy/gal wiggles in there, it is alive and I quit candling it, I don't want to raise the temp too high being over the candler. If I have a question about the liveliness of a chick, I sometimes put the small end near the light and see what i can see in the top and vice-a-versa. You get so much different perspective on what is in the egg. I think you are ok. Just don't handle them too much.

fl.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Oh yeah and I read on another site that a good thing to put over the light to help you out is a flower pot, you know the ceramic ones with the hole in the bottom of them, just the right size for an egg to sit on to view.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just candled all the eggs under the broodies. 16 of them. 2 not fertile, don't know how. 2 bloodrings upon opening them. and the other 12 are growing huge blobs in them. 2 of those of questionable so I stuck them back under the hen.

I want to make sure that I don't have one explode under the hen, how can you tell?

It will stink horribly and it will be all black globby looking inside when you candle it and the outside shell color will look icky. For instance if the shell is normally white, the shell will look greyish. and smell rotten.
sickbyc.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Yeah but if they move inside it is not the black globby that i am talking about. This globby you cannot even tell anything a feather or legs or anything it is like a black yolk. Turn it upside down on the candler and see what you see. Oh it is hard to explain!
hu.gif
idunno.gif

Honestly, just look for the chick to move around when you are candling it. Not too long on the light or it will get too hot, just long enough to see movement and get it off of there.

I'm just using a little LED flashlisht, I didn't see any movement in any of them, I was trying to hurry, should I go see if I can see some movement? When I would turn it the blob would just gravitate to the top. Does that make sense?

Yes it does make sense. I would try to get a lamp and a ceramic clay pot and use that to candle. I have nto had any luck using a flashlight. Too much darkness and you cannot see very well. Put the pot over the lamp like a lampshade and gently place the egg on the hole, you can move it around on the hole and see much more. Use a good lamp with a 40-100 watt bulb for more brightness.

My husband built one with a flood light and a square box 12" X12" with a hole routed out and smoothed so it did not crack the egg and it has a little dip in it so it sits on there without rolling off.

Good luck and it is best if you let it go if there is questions. We have done that and the little bugger hatched on a few occasions!

Back
Top Bottom