Candling Questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by countryboy1, Nov 25, 2009.

1. countryboy1

countryboy1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2009
    Waterloo Illinois
    Am i seeing the right thing. On day six i wasn't seeing any veins but there was a blob in the ones that are in automatic turner. The ones that i hand turn ahave like a perfect 1 in. wide line. Is this what i should be seeing.

2. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    [​IMG]

3. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    So, what would you do with the one with the cracked or broken shell? I have read about people trying to fix them...or do you just throw it away?

4. 4CrazyGirlz

4CrazyGirlz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    North East Texas
    So glad you posted that....it is about time for me to check my eggs for my first hatching. Thanks!

5. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Quote:Some people melt some candle wax to fill the crack. I haven't tried it. No cracked shells here yet.

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I've successfully hatched cracked eggs that I waxed, and one that I didn't touch. If the membrane isn't broken, and the egg isn't oozing, just a quick touch with plain melted wax to the crack will seal it enough to allow incubation. [​IMG] I had an egg that had been incubating for two weeks get dropped about 6" onto concrete (long story, involving a hungry but cautious dog... [​IMG] ). The membrane didn't break, so I sealed it and put it back under the hen... it hatched! [​IMG]

A 1" wide line sounds like a blood ring to me...

7. abooth

abooth Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't toss anything til day ten.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by