candling turkey eggs

I sure wish someone would let me know. I candled eggs on day 2, to check for cracks (one was oozing) and definitely saw a dark spot in several eggs. Is this a good thing or a bad thing????????

BTW, I googled looking for the answer to this question and there really aren't any good pictures of turkey eggs out there. These spots don't look like anything I've ever seen in a chicken egg. But maybe they do, it's just that the spots are too small to see?? My DD thinks it means the turkey eggs are scrambled, and we should throw them away...

But THIS thread came up when I googled. How cool is that? BYC threads are google-worthy.

I have 18 turkey eggs in the bator. I write everything down. On day 6- I could see lots of veins. On day 11- I could see lots of veins, dark shadows and movement. I am on day 25- I can't see much, but have rocking of the eggs.

Sorry. I didn't candle earlier than day 6. I guess I wanted to make sure before I tossed the infertile ones out. I didn't get many eggs this year. I wanted to be certain.
smile.png

OK. Guess I'll just have to have patience then.
It isn't one of my stronger traits
hmm.png

I may go back and mark the ones with dots inside, and see if that is an indicator of fertility later on.... I was just hoping someone here knew already!

I can't usually tell with turkeys until wayinto the 2nd week. even then I leave them in there and have had some hatch from them. Crystal

Back
Top Bottom