Candling

Hi when you candle do you need to cup the egg in hands so you can see it better
No, but doing it in a dark room helps. What color eggs do you have? White or light colors are easier to see into.
This is a white shelled egg, very easy to see into w a flashlight.
candling day 5.jpg

Last edited:
Hiya they ate brown eggs have u just rested the egg on the flash light or holding it

Hiya they ate brown eggs have u just rested the egg on the flash light or holding it
Use any way you find secure for the egg. I laid it on a chair cushion most of the time. Brown eggs will be harder to see into. Use the brightest flashlight you have and set it up to keep the light from leaking around the sides.

Here is my contraption to use with a flashlight. Having the egg sit over a smaller hole helps a lot to minimize extra bright light around the base of the egg. Candling in a dark room with a very bright flashlight also helps. I bought a flashlight that was as bright as I could find at my local Walmart. It happens to have a rechargeable pack, so I can get it fully charged before using. I also have to candle dark eggs - even a couple of Marans eggs. You need a really bright flashlight!

Thick dark foam. Hole drilled out of it using a drill bit that makes a large hole. Dark paper on 3 sides.

Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 10.42.30 AM.png

Here is my contraption to use with a flashlight. Having the egg sit over a smaller hole helps a lot to minimize extra bright light around the base of the egg. Candling in a dark room with a very bright flashlight also helps. I bought a flashlight that was as bright as I could find at my local Walmart. It happens to have a rechargeable pack, so I can get it fully charged before using. I also have to candle dark eggs - even a couple of Marans eggs. You need a really bright flashlight!

Thick dark foam. Hole drilled out of it using a drill bit that makes a large hole. Dark paper on 3 sides.

View attachment 2224837
I like that! Makes for good photographs too..... I'm going to try it next time I incubate!

Back
Top Bottom