Candling

The_Coop

Chirping
Jun 19, 2020
Hello,
I am a hatching eggs in an incubator for the first time and am alittle confused on the first candeling. After researching several times, I have hear that the best is on the third day. Afterwords I heard it is best to do it in day 5. Then again I heard day 7 is the best.

Any ideas for when i should candle them for the first time?

Hello,
I am a hatching eggs in an incubator for the first time and am alittle confused on the first candeling. After researching several times, I have hear that the best is on the third day. Afterwords I heard it is best to do it in day 5. Then again I heard day 7 is the best.

Any ideas for when i should candle them for the first time?
Growth is most obvious by day 7, so for beginners it's best to do it then. Don't toss any until day 14 though. And mark and eggs you're unsure about with a question mark to reassess later. Good luck!

Growth is most obvious by day 7, so for beginners it's best to do it then. Don't toss any until day 14 though. And mark and eggs you're unsure about with a question mark to reassess later. Good luck!
Thanks for the helpful info 😁

Another question I have is humidity. I've heard anywhere from 45% - 75% in the first 17 days. Is this true? Will the eggs die if the humidity and humidity change too much?

Another question I have is humidity. I've heard anywhere from 45% - 75% in the first 17 days. Is this true? Will the eggs die if the humidity and humidity change too much?
You definitely don't want it fluctuating that much. 40-45% works best for me. Start off there, and then weigh your eggs later on. That's how you'll know your humidity is good and they're achieving the correct weight loss. They should lose about 12% of their weight. What day are they on now? It's usually best to weigh before you set them, but you can just do it now. Watch the air cell size also. Have you checked your incubator's temp with a separate calibrated thermometer?

Back
Top Bottom