Candling?

6Chickens&counting

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 7, 2011
I'm limiting my candling days to only candle every 3-5 days..... last time I candled everyday and none hatched... :( Should I limit it even more?

Sorry to reply to your post with a question, but we just put our first batch of eggs in the incubator for the first time on Friday. When should we candle them for the first time? Good luck with your eggs!

I candled just one of mine on the third day and It was developing.... If you candle one that your not sure about just candle a different one, but my way of just candling one held me off until the next candle..... I would suggest every 3 days but most people only candle on the 7th or 10th day and then again on the 18th.... I'm very into the development so I candle every three days...

Usualy I first candle on day 7, then day 14 and lastly on day 18. DO NOT CANDLE DURING LOCKDOWN!!! I can never stress that part enough, dont even open the bator during lockdown, not even to take out the chicks, wait till their fluffy. I happen to be in lockdown right now, and it helps to line the bator with paper towels to catch the hatching mess. Good luck guys
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I'm one of those people who find this process absolutely fascinating so i candle on day 3 and everyday after until lockdown. I won't candle all the eggs just one or two, just to see the cool veining. My hatch rates are not affected by my obsessive candling.

THe candling is very interesting. I also candled every few days, just 2-3 eggs. This will not cool the eggs enough to hurt them. The hens get off for an hour or so to eat and stretch their legs. My biggest problem is breaking the eggs because I handle them so much.

If you are new to candling, you will easily see the shadows at the 7-10 day mark. A trained eye will will differentiate the shadows sooner.

THat none hatched is a separate issue. Do you keep a note book? date, time, turning schedule, temps, RH. ALl good hatcheries keep track of these vital statistics. THis info will benefit you too and help you have better hatches.
GL

Back
Top Bottom