Candling - ???

I just candled 3 out of 12 eggs today and didn't really see anything inside...
hmm.png

Hopefully, it's just the day and not 3 bad eggs. I'll be checking on friday so hopefully I can see "something".
They are RIR eggs (brown eggs). I candled it on the side of the egg.... should i have put the flashlight on the rounded end of the egg and not the middle?

Last edited:
I worry that I am mishandling my eggs. But the mom moves them so I cant be messing them up to much. I candled one today and it looked a bit dark. I am worried though because I saw the air sack and another ring which I am worried is a bacteria ring.

I am on day 7 with some, but have yet to see anything definitive. I think I will try to candle again tonight or tomorrow night. My poor silkie is like what are you doing with my eggs.

I think I read in another thread that you won't really see much until about day 10.
On day 7 you can see a lot. There will be a lot of veins and you can even see the embryo moving. It is easier by day 10 but you can start to see plenty earlier. On pale eggs(tan, white, light brown) you can see veins as early as day 3 or 4. Just make sure you have a bright enough light.

Today is Day 7 for me... I candled and saw veins in majority of the eggs. I saw embryos for sure in 8 out of 12. the other four are iffy's because i small faint red veins but no embyro... Hmmm. I jotted down the numbers of the embryo ones and the iffy's so I can see on day 10 weather the iffy's progressed or not. I posted pictures of day 7 in my other post found here --->

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...pictures-help-day-7-update-pictures-on-page-3

Neat!!!!

I candled the ones I had and 2 had the little veins. We are on day 2/3 and day 1 (serama egg that hatches at 19 days). I wrote (really small) the date and a " ! " if it had veins and a " ? " if I couldnt tell on the eggs so that I can keep track of whos who. I will start writing down on paper next time I candle.

I am soooo excited, I dont think I can wait another 19 days.

Back
Top Bottom